Consider changing Skill tree for Fabricula use

KermyWormy

May 29, 2020
California
I was messing around on an extractor character in the Beta trying to make Skadite, remembered I used to use the Fabricula in this process, so set about to get the skills needed, and proceeded to be annoyed.

In original MO the Fabricula was used in both mineral extraction and alchemy for potion making, so the skill tree, while annoying, made some sense that fabricula use was seeded under Alchemy>>Alchemy Contraptions>>Fabricula Expertise. However, in MO2 we now use a potion making table instead of the Fabricula to make potions, so the fabricula's only use is in Mineral Extraction, so I think it makes sense, at least to me, that it should be moved underneath Ore Extraction Appliances now.
An extractor knows nothing about alchemy, so why is he spending 100 primary points in it just to extract ore and minerals?

Secondarily, it never made sense in the original game that an alchemist only required unlocking fabricula use to be able to use the table to make potions, so an alchemist would have alchemy primary skilled 100 to unlock potion making primary, and advanced potion making primary, and then Alchemy Contraptions primary only high enough to unlock Fabricula Expertise secondary, so the primary craft which needed to use that appliance didn't need to skill it up, only unlock its use, because it had no bearing on potion outcome, and I think this was a choice, not a mistake, because it isn't an extraction trade, it's a crafting trade. but still, you had to waste Primary points in Alchemy Contraptions to unlock Fabricula.

Armor and weapon crafters, for example, don't skill up a primary skill for the appliance (crafting table) they use for their craft, so that was out of balance imo.

I suggest moving Fabricula expertise under the Ore Extraction Appliance parent, with appropriate sub-skill secondary as we have mechanical, hydraulic, thermal etc. because it is now only used for ore extraction and has no ties to the Alchemy trade whatsoever. I think this is a no brainer, but there may be something here I am not realizing balance-wise. this would add 200 primary pts back to the extractor who is interested in ores and minerals which are best extracted with the fabricula.

Personally I think those primaries being spent by an extractor just to use this particular appliance is out of balance currently and should be changed because the only appliance use which require additional primary point investment are the Blast Furnace and Greator Natorus which can be justified because of what they are needed for and the specialization in that enterprise which helps balance it. The Fabricula is not on the same level as the Blast furnace or Greator Natorus, so it shouldn't require that extra investment it currently and always has before.

Thoughts? Anything I didn't consider?

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
+1 to anything that makes alchemy require less skillpoints. Practically everything can be used as an alchemy or cooking ingredient. This makes those trades INCREDIBLY point intensive to build because ideally you would want every lore in the game if you like to do experimentation. (Of course they actually drop some lores because even on a 130 Int human, you have to)

KermyWormy

May 29, 2020
California
Well in this iteration of MO we've been playing, this change wouldn't actually benefit an Alchemist because they use the potion making table now, so they're not messing about with a fabricula unless you're trying to do a weird extractor/alchemist which really wouldn't have pts to build out. Moreso it helps an extractor who uses a fabricula, which is one of the other few trades, like an alchemist, who will likely not be able to fit in a secondary trade on their build, so in that regard it would be a welcome change.

lord_yoshi

Oct 3, 2020
Funnily enough, in MO1 I later found out that you could open the potion window while targeting any appliance, so I set up a campfire right next to the bank to make potions.

But to the thread suggestion, every other extraction in the game does not require a similar parent skill:
  • Butchery Appliances does not require Butchery
  • Botany Appliances does not require Botany or Herbalism
  • Ore Extraction Appliances does not require any kind of Basic/Intermediate/Advanced Ore Extraction
  • Cooking Tools does not require Cooking
  • But Alchemy Contraptions does requires Alchemy
To standardize the skills, the following changes should happen:
  1. Make Ore Extraction Appliances the only parent skill to Alchemy Contraptions
  2. Make Alchemy Contraptions a secondary skill
  3. Make Thaumator Operations a primary skill (If it even gets added to the game)
  4. BONUS: Remove the Alchemy prerequisite from Alchemical Dissolvents and Cuprite Lore (Alchemical Mineralogy does not have it, so why not?)
Problem solved.

boogis

Nov 15, 2020
I was messing around on an extractor character in the Beta trying to make Skadite, remembered I used to use the Fabricula in this process, so set about to get the skills needed, and proceeded to be annoyed.

In original MO the Fabricula was used in both mineral extraction and alchemy for potion making, so the skill tree, while annoying, made some sense that fabricula use was seeded under Alchemy>>Alchemy Contraptions>>Fabricula Expertise. However, in MO2 we now use a potion making table instead of the Fabricula to make potions, so the fabricula's only use is in Mineral Extraction, so I think it makes sense, at least to me, that it should be moved underneath Ore Extraction Appliances now.
An extractor knows nothing about alchemy, so why is he spending 100 primary points in it just to extract ore and minerals?

Secondarily, it never made sense in the original game that an alchemist only required unlocking fabricula use to be able to use the table to make potions, so an alchemist would have alchemy primary skilled 100 to unlock potion making primary, and advanced potion making primary, and then Alchemy Contraptions primary only high enough to unlock Fabricula Expertise secondary, so the primary craft which needed to use that appliance didn't need to skill it up, only unlock its use, because it had no bearing on potion outcome, and I think this was a choice, not a mistake, because it isn't an extraction trade, it's a crafting trade. but still, you had to waste Primary points in Alchemy Contraptions to unlock Fabricula.

Armor and weapon crafters, for example, don't skill up a primary skill for the appliance (crafting table) they use for their craft, so that was out of balance imo.

I suggest moving Fabricula expertise under the Ore Extraction Appliance parent, with appropriate sub-skill secondary as we have mechanical, hydraulic, thermal etc. because it is now only used for ore extraction and has no ties to the Alchemy trade whatsoever. I think this is a no brainer, but there may be something here I am not realizing balance-wise. this would add 200 primary pts back to the extractor who is interested in ores and minerals which are best extracted with the fabricula.

Personally I think those primaries being spent by an extractor just to use this particular appliance is out of balance currently and should be changed because the only appliance use which require additional primary point investment are the Blast Furnace and Greator Natorus which can be justified because of what they are needed for and the specialization in that enterprise which helps balance it. The Fabricula is not on the same level as the Blast furnace or Greator Natorus, so it shouldn't require that extra investment it currently and always has before.

Thoughts? Anything I didn't consider?
totaly agree and i dont know any potion that requires fabricular. only mana potion but to do that u have to have alch mineralogy on top of that. thats wasteing of skills