Combat Feedback: Animal AI

How do you feel about the Suggestions?

• I like Option A - how it is, or with some changes.

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • I like Option B - how it is, or with some changes.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • I like the General suggestions - how they are, or with some changes.

• I think a combination of the suggestions is ideal - as is, or with changes.

• I like some of what is here, but want to change enough that I can't agree.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I do not like any of these suggestions, and will post why.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I do not like these suggestions, period.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nefnate

Jun 23, 2021
My Mind
Hello all,

I have some general feedback on Animal AI, based on my own experience, and reading feedback of other users.

While I think we can agree that in real life, a bear, wolf, or cougar would be faster, and more vicious than the vast majority of us. They also fight with no sense of honor, as honor is a construct made by us, too.

Translating that into a game can be cool, having strong bears and other animals that are terrifying to get caught by - perhaps making a point that you need allies or traps to deal with them.

However, at some level, they need to be manageable. As @bbihah mentioned in a thread I recently skimmed over, animals should adhere to the same rules other AI do, for the sake of game play consistency. You could introduce animal specific mechanics, sure, as long as they fit the puzzle that is the game.

Right now, it is extremely difficult to tell which direction an animal is attacking from, or if it is a direction at all. They also attack extremely quickly in most cases. While I think these two factors are SV making a point about realism and trying to add challenge to wildlife, I think it feels pretty bad. We have a 4 directional blocking/parry system, so we should be able to use it.

Todays patch notes buffed "blocking" to 50% damage reduction on pets, which is nice. If this is the route we are taking, being able to block instead of parry, I strongly suggest tuning down attack speed so that it becomes worth it to even try and block. You should also be able to block any animal attack without concern about the direction - but, I don't think we should let go of being able to parry.

Another thing to consider, as I mentioned prior, is that it may be intended that animals are extremely difficult to survive on foot. I still think trying should be fun, though.

Let me turn this into something easy to read.

IF animals are going to be Parry-able, AND, are intended to be something a strong fighter can deal with on foot: (Option A)

• Attack Direction from the AI needs to be easier to understand.
    • Animations for attacks could be more clear, or perhaps a tutorial that showcases these fights to give players a foundation.
    • -
  • Attack Speed should be slowed down, or damage should be altered.
    • Often it is redundant to try and parry an animal right now. They attack so quickly that the parry is invalidated, by the time you swing it you can already be hit again several times.
    • Lowering ATK speed in general would make discerning that attacking direction easier, too.
    • -
IF animals are going to be Parry-able, AND, are NOT intended to be something a strong fighter can deal with (usually): (Option B)
  • Instead of flurried attacks that are hard to read, go the opposite direction - high impact, telegraphed hits.
    • Make the attack direction more clear, and the animation more of a wind up.
    • Increase the damage of the singular attacks, and add a large amount of Knock Back and Knock Down chance.
      • True fighters have mastered Balance (just saying).
      • It just makes sense that a large predator would knock a humanoid down...
    • This way, fighting an animal will feel intense and fun, while still being difficult or even impossible.
    • -
Regardless of which path is taken: (General)
  • Blocking as an action, should occur regardless of Block Direction.
    • Enable a hit to be Blocked without consideration of the animals attack direction.
    • This helps solve the issue of attack directions being hard to follow, and rewards players who may be experiencing the animal for the first time.
    • -
  • Give them more utility - such as a roar, or other in-line actions.
    • Giving animals abilities other than just attacks would make for a more engaging experience.
    • In my example of roar, I imagine a bear. The bear rears up and roars loudly, hitting the player with some knockback and debuffing them.
    • -
As a note: when I am saying "Animal" I am more referring to larger predators, but also inferring any hostile animal.

What do you think? I have included a poll. Please, comment if you have other ideas, like mine, or have something else to say.

Cheers,
Nef.

Final Note: If you are here after I updated the title to "Combat Feedback: Wow Bears are Strong", it provides evidence toward the validity and effectiveness of click bait. Thank you!

Last edited:

cerqo

Mar 17, 2021
Yes pets are completely braindead and unskilled, way too strong compared to how hard it is to press 1 button, nothing new here. Sadly nothing is going to be done about it, they are literally adding stronger pets lmao.

Reactions: Tzone

Banespike

Apr 14, 2021
Iam not a tamer, but shouldn’t pets be strong right know? Because it takes a lot of time to grow them up? I mean it can be killed pretty quick

Banespike

Apr 14, 2021
No, why should AI fight for you.
Because you tamed that sweet puppy, trained him etc. How long does it take to lvl a bear to 125 right now? I mean if you need like 5 Hours to tame and train a bear and it’s useless it won’t be good

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Because you tamed that sweet puppy, trained him etc. How long does it take to lvl a bear to 125 right now? I mean if you need like 5 Hours to tame and train a bear and it’s useless it won’t be good
First is ruins the game for everyone else, two its not difficult its just takes time. Three you earned nothing, you didnt work for anything you just AFK'd to get a pet leveled.

Actually play the game instead of having a game breaking pet. A player spends far more time getting steel then you did your pet. A player also spends a lot of time getting good at the game too while you arent spending any time practicing to use a pet.

Basicly saying that if something broken like a cheat engine had a high in game cost it would be ok.

Banespike

Apr 14, 2021
First is ruins the game for everyone else, two its not difficult its just takes time. Three you earned nothing, you didnt work for anything you just AFK'd to get a pet leveled.

Actually play the game instead of having a game breaking pet. A player spends far more time getting steel then you did your pet. A player also spends a lot of time getting good at the game too while you arent spending any time practicing to use a pet.

Basicly saying that if something broken like a cheat engine had a high in game cost it would be ok.

getting steel is also not difficult. It’s also just time. Iam pretty sure tamers have a higher effort to have a good pet right now. I mean if tamer is training his pet on a dummie and goes afk it can easily get griefed. Iam playing on a thusar right now. If tamers don’t manage to corrupt me I hit the shit out of them. We had a 4v5 and the enemy team had a bear. We Focused the bear real quick then continued fighting. For me it was no autowin or cheating.
Just my perspective as a fighter and mage (iam not a tamer 🙈)

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
I agree with you. I take some prectice and you need to learn the animations. Pets are strong. The strategy to parry them and attack the beastmaster not worked out so well. I guess it is better to run arround the pet and parry it, so you can´t get attacked by the beastmaster and the pet at the same time and focus the wolf.

Bears are stronger. I don´t know how to fight bears, if another player is attacking you. I have to test that.

i made this suggestion. Pets should be strong but only over a specific ammount of time and not all the time.
They should be weaker and we need skills for the hotbar, that increase their speed, attack power and chance to hit for a specific ammount of time.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
@Anabolic Man just not have combat pets solves the issue. Better studios have a lot of issue with balancing these types of things.

Right now with the node line bug eating pets its been great for PvPers. Almost no pets to deal with and the game is far improved for it.

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
The problem with pets is that they have to be good or else they'd be worthless. None wants to tame and train a pet and put in all that effort just for it to get killed instantly

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
The problem with pets is that they have to be good or else they'd be worthless. None wants to tame and train a pet and put in all that effort just for it to get killed instantly

You talk about defencive. I talk about the attack power, that should be lower, but should be able to be boosted over a specific ammount of time.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Let them be worthless at this point. Why force a bad experince that causes people to quit into the game.

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
Let them be worthless at this point. Why force a bad experince that causes people to quit into the game.

Honestly I like pvp sandbox MMOs and games for the fun of survival and crafting and building aspects. If you want a fair fight you will never find it in a game like Mortal. Whoever has more people or better gear is going to win. Better to play actual fighter games if you want fair fights. But that's not to say they shouldn't strive to be balanced

Nefnate

Jun 23, 2021
My Mind
This thread is not about the use of animals in PvP. Get yourselves together and read before commenting. I changed the title to trigger some of you PvP brains into coming in, but didn't expect this level of ignorance to the OP (original post). Even changed, the title still speaks to what I wrote.

Last edited:

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
This thread is not about the use of animals in PvP. Get yourselves together and read before commenting. I changed the title to trigger some of you PvP brains into coming in, but didn't expect this level of ignorance to the OP. Even changed, the title still speaks to what I wrote.

Yeah basically every npc is OP right now, even at max skills. They need to lower the difficulty of regular stuff like wolves and bears and zombies and just add newer higher level npcs to fight

Status
Not open for further replies.