Character Naming Conventions

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
((This is an OOC thread but I thought it best to place it here given it is purely related to lore and community RP. If moderators feel the need to move this I would suggest moving it to the not yet created Lore section ;) ))

Mats has expressed a desire for the community to be somewhat involved in choosing this. Because of this I think it's good to have a thread where we compile info on the subject so it's easier for incoming players to find it. Green text in this thread denotes official lore or SV staff comments, while yellow text denotes popular community ideas.

HUMANS

KALLARD

Convention Description:

Example Names: Ölvir Högg (Source 2)

KHURITE

Convention Description:

Example Names:

SARDUCCAN

Convention Description:

Example Names: Labbah Madar (Source 2)

SIDOIAN

Convention Description:

Example Names:

TINDREMENE

Convention Description: Based on the examples from lore, we can tell Tindremic names follow fairly standard Latin naming conventions.

Example Names: Queros Plinius Inominalis, Benedictus Lanarius (Source 2)

ALVARIN

SHEEVRA

Convention Description:

Example Names:

VEELA

Convention Description:

Example Names:

OHGMIR

BLAINN

Convention Description:

Example Names:

HUERGAR

Convention Description: The Huergar language and naming conventions are based on Akkadian. (Source 1)

Example Names: Tarmachan-dé (Source 2)

THURSAR

THURSAR

Convention Description:

Example Names:

Last edited:

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Brief description on the thread, I will update this as I have time. Might be a bit slow going since I'm working on the Races and Attributes guide and want it out before Stress test. Feel free to submit updates in terms of official lore names or relevant comments/quotes (Please link or at least name the source if you can).

This is also a place to discuss community-driven additions to this content. I'd welcome anyone with a serious interest in this to contribute to the discussion and weigh in on ideas you support/don't support.

Reactions: RBT OFICIAL CHANNEL

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
I'm going to propose a naming set of naming conventions for people to weigh in on.

The lore states Thursar are generally (but not always are) abandoned by risar parents near human or Thursar villages. Based on that I'd suggest Thursar work a few separate naming convetions.

1. Thursar raised by human parents frequently follow the same conventions of the human community that raised them.

2. The few thursars raised by Risars will sometimes be given risar names, though frequently they mean things like "small", "weak", or "runt" in the Risar language. Gaul'Kor raised Thursar also generally follow Risar conventions. This is the source of most Risar named Thursar as Gaul'Kor is a popular place to abandon Thursar children. The Thursar there who adopt them generally give them less derogatory names.

3. Obrig and Kranesh in an attempt to develop a Thursar culture of their own have adopted their own naming convention. Thursar raised in these communities tend to have a descriptive name made by the conjoining of two words granted during a right of passage ceremony. Thursar who join these communities tend to change to a name based on such conventions as well as they are officially adopted into the community. Examples of such names are "Strongbow", "Bearkin", or "Hammercrush". Such names are based on great deeds or positive qualities the Thursar has shown by the time of ceremony completion. While these names are generally given in the predominant language of Obrig and Kranesh (Tindremic?), Thursar fluent in other languages generally adapt their name when speaking that language. For instance a Kranesh Thursar named Strongbow fluent in Khurite would present themselves by name of the same or most-similar meaning in Khurite name while in Moh Ki.

Last edited:
May 29, 2020
Montreal, QC
Idea for Khurite:

Convention description: Khurites are nomads of the steppes, Akin to the Great Mongol hordes of the great Khanate. language wise the R and L sounds could be inverted or rolled.

exemple names: Tsorig Vantzeeig, Mondul'chug, Sumar'gha , Jort hacha, Gher Kowa

(you can tell me if im going about this the wrong way too lol)

Mar 11, 2021
Tindrem
Los nombres de la gente de Oghmir, podrían estar relacionados con el carácter de esta raza. Mineros, pueblos que viven en las profundidades, en cuevas (citado en el Lore oficial) podrían ser nombres más bien simples y bruscos?
¿Burdrin, Lafhur, Drodar, Drilin?

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Los nombres de la gente de Oghmir, podrían estar relacionados con el carácter de esta raza. Mineros, pueblos que viven en las profundidades, en cuevas (citado en el Lore oficial) podrían ser nombres más bien simples y bruscos?
¿Burdrin, Lafhur, Drodar, Drilin?

English Translation:

The names of the Oghmir people could be related to the character of this race. Miners, peoples who live in the depths, in caves (cited in the official Lore) could they be rather simple and brusque names?

Burdrin, Lafhur, Drodar, Drilin?

Huergar apparently are based on Akkadian naming conventions. We don't know Blainn naming conventions yet. That's an interesting one for sure. They used to be Huergar but now they are closer to the Kallards than any other race. I imagine they might have Norse versions of Akkadian names. Much like how the name Andrew in English would be Andrés in Spanish and came from Arye in Hebrew.

Last edited:

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Idea for Khurite:

Convention description: Khurites are nomads of the steppes, Akin to the Great Mongol hordes of the great Khanate. language wise the R and L sounds could be inverted or rolled.

exemple names: Tsorig Vantzeeig, Mondul'chug, Sumar'gha , Jort hacha, Gher Kowa

(you can tell me if im going about this the wrong way too lol)

So basically Mongolian names I think? I don't know how Mongolians pronounce R and L but if it's similar to Japanese as you describe then I have similar thoughts on how Khurite would likely sound. Though I could see the Japanese inspiration either way. There is certainly Japanese influence in their weapons and armor so why not language too?

Reactions: TroGuard(TheBrown)

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
6c5508d8fc968c70f8e22ba3a2624c79.png