Can you guys design a Group Finding interface? Hiring Bodyguard Guilds/Looking For group to kill bosses/Paying for Mining Group.. L4 Duels Ect...

PoisonArrows

Aug 7, 2020
I'm not sure how to pinpoint and voice my frustration here... But typing things on the forums, or discord, or using that function on the broker, or meeting a player
and asking them for help aren't really great options. Why does the game itself not help simplify these functions. I can't tell you how many times I have wanted to do something in Mo1 for example but needed a giant group to do it... It makes you feel like you are guild locked into requiring a guild to play that content. There is a lot of merchant guilds and bodyguard guilds, bounty hunter guilds, mining guilds ect... Which could be valuable to a solo player but the idea that my time zone and your time zone and me trusting a random person with gold or them trusting me that I will pay for services ect... I enjoy the idea, but that all requires time, and energy to be spent becoming friends with people ect, building trust. Accepting disappointment when things don't go as planned, I could go on and on. But let's also point out the player base has always been a small one as well. So it's all a great idea but it is poorly executed. Just like tournaments and anything else going on in the game is poorly executed. The players themselves practically have to do everything. Now I don't know about you, but how much sandbox do you really want? I feel like there is a Line between making things simple and work and making a Sims/Real Life Simulator... The idea that the player does it all themselves in a game that doesn't give the player the tools to do so is just a joke... It didn't work in Mo1 it isn't going to work in Mo2.

Can we please just get a interface that let's us ask players what we need help doing. One which let's us choose the time, the day, the work we need done and the payment involved. That way I can go adventuring with them, or I can just pay them to get it done. If they can't do it right away, then I pay less since it could take them a week or so. If they can do it in a day it cost double the gold. Make it like the Mailbox idea where they have to deliver the goods/services before they receive the Gold. So that I don't have to use the current crappy system and spend a week texting people back and forth trying to get everything set up for Saturdays Game Night. That way players can spend More time Playing instead of navigating the toxic player base. I just I've always hated that if you take time off, there's no system in place to simplify things. It almost pulls you into the guild politics and you spend way to much time just trying to get a group together. My first 3 months of play in Beta was just like this, and if you weren't a part of their guild things just weren't going to work out.

Last edited:

PoisonArrows

Aug 7, 2020
I would enjoy it if it gave a indication of how many players had signed up for your job contract or quest that you posted. And for example once it said 5 players had accepted or 10 or whatever then it just started. I mean holy shit can you imagine how much easier this would make things for the entire player base. If you could just post a mission of some kind and then those guilds that want to do these labor jobs could pick them up. Seriously it would work for both parties. The Current Broker System doesn't have anything in the way of specifics.

So just imagine you see the Job and Description on like a quest board on the left, and you see payment on the right. So people can choose if they want to do that job or this job. It would drive up player economy and make the game better.

PoisonArrows

Aug 7, 2020
Posted boards in town
But that's not the same, I'm not sure how to put my finger on it. Like you have to interact with those poster boards, and maybe that makes the difference. Or the fact it's kinda out of the way in town. Because in World of Warcraft for example you can just see a list of groups you can join, and you can also see a list of players joining you in your quest/hunt/pvp whatever the group was made for. And for whatever reason I think it speeds things up when you have a interface like that of a list of things players are doing that you can pull up just by pressing a button and looking and seeing how many people are in the queue. Rather then going into town for the poster boards. I can't recall to many instances where the boards was ever actually used as often as the other methods I am discussing.

In Mo1 in fact I actually had a Bounty Hunter guild for awhile where I offered to kill people for gold. I remember posting on those poster boards in Tindrem which was the most populated city. And I might have got a job offer once in a blue moon. I remember people also selling goods on forums like Perfect breed mounts for 500g each, and stuff like that. Which further shows the flaw in the poster boards, as others were still using the forums for that service, rather then the in game boards. Shit in Mo1 you even needed some paper just to use those boards, and your text was restricted and you could write off the edge of the page it was terribly implemented.

Woody

Apr 4, 2021
But that's not the same, I'm not sure how to put my finger on it. Like you have to interact with those poster boards, and maybe that makes the difference. Or the fact it's kinda out of the way in town. Because in World of Warcraft for example you can just see a list of groups you can join, and you can also see a list of players joining you in your quest/hunt/pvp whatever the group was made for. And for whatever reason I think it speeds things up when you have a interface like that of a list of things players are doing that you can pull up just by pressing a button and looking and seeing how many people are in the queue. Rather then going into town for the poster boards. I can't recall to many instances where the boards was ever actually used as often as the other methods I am discussing.

In Mo1 in fact I actually had a Bounty Hunter guild for awhile where I offered to kill people for gold. I remember posting on those poster boards in Tindrem which was the most populated city. And I might have got a job offer once in a blue moon. I remember people also selling goods on forums like Perfect breed mounts for 500g each, and stuff like that. Which further shows the flaw in the poster boards, as others were still using the forums for that service, rather then the in game boards. Shit in Mo1 you even needed some paper just to use those boards, and your text was restricted and you could write off the edge of the page it was terribly implemented.

Local poster boards is all that's needed. Furthermore, everything else in this game is local (banks, broker, mail). This kind of system would be no different.

Reactions: Torkia

tntdogs

Mar 8, 2021
I'm not sure how to pinpoint and voice my frustration here... But typing things on the forums, or discord, or using that function on the broker, or meeting a player
and asking them for help aren't really great options. Why does the game itself not help simplify these functions. I can't tell you how many times I have wanted to do something in Mo1 for example but needed a giant group to do it... It makes you feel like you are guild locked into requiring a guild to play that content. There is a lot of merchant guilds and bodyguard guilds, bounty hunter guilds, mining guilds ect... Which could be valuable to a solo player but the idea that my time zone and your time zone and me trusting a random person with gold or them trusting me that I will pay for services ect... I enjoy the idea, but that all requires time, and energy to be spent becoming friends with people ect, building trust. Accepting disappointment when things don't go as planned, I could go on and on. But let's also point out the player base has always been a small one as well. So it's all a great idea but it is poorly executed. Just like tournaments and anything else going on in the game is poorly executed. The players themselves practically have to do everything. Now I don't know about you, but how much sandbox do you really want? I feel like there is a Line between making things simple and work and making a Sims/Real Life Simulator... The idea that the player does it all themselves in a game that doesn't give the player the tools to do so is just a joke... It didn't work in Mo1 it isn't going to work in Mo2.

Can we please just get a interface that let's us ask players what we need help doing. One which let's us choose the time, the day, the work we need done and the payment involved. That way I can go adventuring with them, or I can just pay them to get it done. If they can't do it right away, then I pay less since it could take them a week or so. If they can do it in a day it cost double the gold. Make it like the Mailbox idea where they have to deliver the goods/services before they receive the Gold. So that I don't have to use the current crappy system and spend a week texting people back and forth trying to get everything set up for Saturdays Game Night. That way players can spend More time Playing instead of navigating the toxic player base. I just I've always hated that if you take time off, there's no system in place to simplify things. It almost pulls you into the guild politics and you spend way to much time just trying to get a group together. My first 3 months of play in Beta was just like this, and if you weren't a part of their guild things just weren't going to work out.

A bulletin board would be much better than some interface where you can ask for help, post bounties, etc.

Reactions: Kokolo

2Op4Scrubs

Sep 11, 2021
I kind of see what he is saying. I don't like the idea of groups or an interface. But I do like the idea of an interactive billboard. Not just to post jobs and stuff. But to "Turn in quest items." Like he said it is hard to meet up with people and time is the main restrictor. So why not be able to turn in the item to the board and it mails you the amount of gold per said job you complete. The gold gets taken out directly from the players bank, so it saves more time if people are in different time zones. I did see "Buy Orders" in the broker. So if that is how its going to work in the auction house, then GGs.

Reactions: PoisonArrows

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
A bulletin board would be much better than some interface where you can ask for help, post bounties, etc.
I remember the notice board or bulleting board that used to stand in towns in Mortal Online 1-- the one in Bakti in particular-- and aside from the board being accessible in one place, I can't think of a functional difference between that and an interface that's always with you.

That's a major difference, but I don't see how that makes the stationary board worse and the hypothetical interface better.

So how does it?

[[FORM]Fnord
Laylah's W Sig by Rathius_X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett.png

PoisonArrows

Aug 7, 2020
I remember the notice board or bulleting board that used to stand in towns in Mortal Online 1-- the one in Bakti in particular-- and aside from the board being accessible in one place, I can't think of a functional difference between that and an interface that's always with you.

That's a major difference, but I don't see how that makes the stationary board worse and the hypothetical interface better.

So how does it?

[[FORM]Fnord
View attachment 2083
57 seconds into video to 2:49 in video. You can see that he has a quest he wants to do to kill a strong monster. And he just creates a group for it and other people who also want to farm that monster can join this group, they just teleport in. (In Mortal we could just have everyone teleport to a certain location like a town, so that there isn't boss camping) You can do the same thing on PvP activities on World Of Warcraft, but you can take it even a step further then what was shown in this video. I can create a group and I can see the players who are joining me in my pvp battle, I can see their classes too, and what they are focusing on in the battle be it damage or healing or tanking. It makes game play a lot easier when you can choose your groups or create a group of like minded players who want to do a specific objective in game, rather then making a post and seeing if anyone cares to go to that part of town and take a look at the boards....And then out of that small group of players, how many wanted to join you in your group? You don't know the truth until they mail you a message in game, or discord, or forum or whatever else to contact you. It creates a bad back and forth and most times they can find other people in their guild or whatever and so by the time you log on, it's already done with. It would be so much easier to have this kind of idea. We could implement this into Mortal, say I have a Job for someone to capture me a White Bear, and I'll pay 100gold for the job. They can click join that group and test their luck, if they manage to complete the job, they click job complete and it says the White Bear is in transfer, when I log on again I click accept and pay the 100gold, and whether or not either of us are online we both get what we wanted out of the idea. There is so many options to make a better Job System.

PoisonArrows

Aug 7, 2020
I kind of see what he is saying. I don't like the idea of groups or an interface. But I do like the idea of an interactive billboard. Not just to post jobs and stuff. But to "Turn in quest items." Like he said it is hard to meet up with people and time is the main restrictor. So why not be able to turn in the item to the board and it mails you the amount of gold per said job you complete. The gold gets taken out directly from the players bank, so it saves more time if people are in different time zones. I did see "Buy Orders" in the broker. So if that is how its going to work in the auction house, then GGs.
Yes exactly, except you can't get very specific with the Buy orders, to get more specific you have to post on the billboards, and hardly anyone uses those things ever. So if I wanted to hire a group to mine together or look for a specific pvp group to do something I have to use the billboards as these are things buy orders can't do. And that is why I created the idea I have.

Woody

Apr 4, 2021
57 seconds into video to 2:49 in video. You can see that he has a quest he wants to do to kill a strong monster. And he just creates a group for it and other people who also want to farm that monster can join this group, they just teleport in. (In Mortal we could just have everyone teleport to a certain location like a town, so that there isn't boss camping) You can do the same thing on PvP activities on World Of Warcraft, but you can take it even a step further then what was shown in this video. I can create a group and I can see the players who are joining me in my pvp battle, I can see their classes too, and what they are focusing on in the battle be it damage or healing or tanking. It makes game play a lot easier when you can choose your groups or create a group of like minded players who want to do a specific objective in game, rather then making a post and seeing if anyone cares to go to that part of town and take a look at the boards....And then out of that small group of players, how many wanted to join you in your group? You don't know the truth until they mail you a message in game, or discord, or forum or whatever else to contact you. It creates a bad back and forth and most times they can find other people in their guild or whatever and so by the time you log on, it's already done with. It would be so much easier to have this kind of idea. We could implement this into Mortal, say I have a Job for someone to capture me a White Bear, and I'll pay 100gold for the job. They can click join that group and test their luck, if they manage to complete the job, they click job complete and it says the White Bear is in transfer, when I log on again I click accept and pay the 100gold, and whether or not either of us are online we both get what we wanted out of the idea. There is so many options to make a better Job System.

Sometimes I wonder if you're actually playing the same game as us! Apart from adding a local town noticeboard, there's nothing about this suggestion in it's entirety of adding a WoW style group finder, let alone a teleport feature, that could fit into the core gameplay paradigms of Mortal.

PoisonArrows

Aug 7, 2020
Sometimes I wonder if you're actually playing the same game as us! Apart from adding a local town noticeboard, there's nothing about this suggestion in it's entirety of adding a WoW style group finder, let alone a teleport feature, that could fit into the core gameplay paradigms of Mortal.
A good phrase is if it's not broken don't fix it. However in the case of the boards in towns which were never used by anyone except like 1% of the player base, then obvious improvements can be made. The proof of this is further evident by many of the Mo1s player online Forum shops to try to attract customers, as in the case of the perfect breed mounts for sale on forums, along with many other forum shops that I can't even remember. Many of todays Mo1 problems were addressed by the community nearly a decade ago. Such as Pet Ai, things falling through walls, guards not helping, and other bugs that are still a part of our game today. So just because it exist in game, doesn't mean it can't be improved. I am used to abstract thinking, mainly out of the box thinking in correlation to the things I enjoy. So when I make these post I am thinking long term about the health of the game and how things from Mo1 could have gone better and how Mo2 doesn't want to repeat the same mistakes.

Think of things this way, if you want to debate me I am open to having a discussion about the topic, simply because you are one of the ones who are providing feedback to the community like myself. However can you or anyone provide evidence of the "500k players" that used the boards system? What about "10 thousand"? 500k is the total, player base to have signed up to play Mo1 according to SV. And 500k clearly never used it, 10k didn't even use it. I can record from memory only a small handful of players, I remember even in like 2015 the boards being dead, A crafter named Brewer occasionally posting on the one in Tindrem, I remember a guy trying to sell books of information, I remember another guy trying to create a map and posting it on the boards, and then I remember myself offering bounty hunting services for a guild I ran. So hindsight being 20/20 if only a few players use something and the result of usage is not being returned by customers, then there is something wrong with the service.

I think of it this way, if we have more ways for players to interact with one another, then there is more ways to enjoy the game.

Woody

Apr 4, 2021
A good phrase is if it's not broken don't fix it. However in the case of the boards in towns which were never used by anyone except like 1% of the player base, then obvious improvements can be made. The proof of this is further evident by many of the Mo1s player online Forum shops to try to attract customers, as in the case of the perfect breed mounts for sale on forums, along with many other forum shops that I can't even remember. Many of todays Mo1 problems were addressed by the community nearly a decade ago. Such as Pet Ai, things falling through walls, guards not helping, and other bugs that are still a part of our game today. So just because it exist in game, doesn't mean it can't be improved. I am used to abstract thinking, mainly out of the box thinking in correlation to the things I enjoy. So when I make these post I am thinking long term about the health of the game and how things from Mo1 could have gone better and how Mo2 doesn't want to repeat the same mistakes.

Think of things this way, if you want to debate me I am open to having a discussion about the topic, simply because you are one of the ones who are providing feedback to the community like myself. However can you or anyone provide evidence of the "500k players" that used the boards system? What about "10 thousand"? 500k is the total, player base to have signed up to play Mo1 according to SV. And 500k clearly never used it, 10k didn't even use it. I can record from memory only a small handful of players, I remember even in like 2015 the boards being dead, A crafter named Brewer occasionally posting on the one in Tindrem, I remember a guy trying to sell books of information, I remember another guy trying to create a map and posting it on the boards, and then I remember myself offering bounty hunting services for a guild I ran. So hindsight being 20/20 if only a few players use something and the result of usage is not being returned by customers, then there is something wrong with the service.

I think of it this way, if we have more ways for players to interact with one another, then there is more ways to enjoy the game.

I don't think a "classifieds/bounty/noticeboard" idea is bad per say, but simply because something didn't work as well for you or others in a previous iteration, doesn't instantly invalidate the core design paradigms it was following. This is why you will struggle to get community buy in to some of these radical ideas as it goes against the grain of why players are playing this game in the first place.

Keep it simple and inline with the direction of the game.

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
Sorry to get snippy with you,
[MEDIA=youtube]2jbf0oZ_p4U:57[/MEDIA] You can see...<snip>
but I am familiar with various things like grouping systems and instanced places and being ported or portaled in, etc., in games, with optional PvP (duels and flags) or separate PvP servers (or battlegrounds) and no way for your group members to attack you or even hit you by accident. Including but not limited to:

• EverQuest? OMG, so easy to find a group for the little instanced dungons under the desert.
  • World of Warcraft, yeahhh.

And I really enjoyed them. Are we clear?

Good. But this is a well-stated summary of how I, too, think & feel about what's in that video, and its non-existent place in Mortal Online games:

"don't think a "classifieds / bounty / noticeboard" idea is bad per say, but simply because something didn't work as well for you or others in a previous iteration, doesn't instantly invalidate the core design paradigms it was following. This is why you will struggle to get community buy in to some of these radical ideas as it goes against the grain of why players are playing this game in the first place."

What I would very much like to see in Mortal Online 2 is a Noticeboard System that doesn't lag horribly or take forever to load, and maybe the Task System reborn as well. Simple, regional, and if it's done right it's not the new players that will hesitate to use it-- I'd bet it would be the veterans of MO1 who remember the way it wasn't.

These current forums don't even have a Marketplace, and I think that is a clue that MO2 players can use the in-game systems, or build their own outside of the game (as people always do, even in games with many instant, even automatic conveniences & fast travel, etc.), but Star Vault itself isn't going to compete with its own in-game systems for you.

Lastly, if you were adverising your needs in-game and possibly out-of-game as well, to other players and few of them wanted to take your jobs, maybe it was just you they didn't want to do business with. Maybe the ones who did take the jobs, but did them slowly, were really bad at providing service. Maybe... the things you want to get done in the game are not possible at the pace at which you'd like to get them done, not by hiring help.

Note: I wrote 'maybe'.
Laylah's W Sig by Rathius_X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett.png

• Sad
Reactions: PoisonArrows

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Yeah no group finding like wow were you are spoon fed the work of actually interacting with people to make a group.

Posted boards are the way to go for allowing the community to notify others of wanting a group.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

PoisonArrows

Aug 7, 2020
Sorry to get snippy with you, but I am familiar with various things like grouping systems and instanced places and being ported or portaled in, etc., in games, with optional PvP (duels and flags) or separate PvP servers (or battlegrounds) and no way for your group members to attack you or even hit you by accident. Including but not limited to:

• EverQuest? OMG, so easy to find a group for the little instanced dungons under the desert.
  • World of Warcraft, yeahhh.

And I really enjoyed them. Are we clear?

Good. But this is a well-stated summary of how I, too, think & feel about what's in that video, and its non-existent place in Mortal Online games:

"don't think a "classifieds / bounty / noticeboard" idea is bad per say, but simply because something didn't work as well for you or others in a previous iteration, doesn't instantly invalidate the core design paradigms it was following. This is why you will struggle to get community buy in to some of these radical ideas as it goes against the grain of why players are playing this game in the first place."

What I would very much like to see in Mortal Online 2 is a Noticeboard System that doesn't lag horribly or take forever to load, and maybe the Task System reborn as well. Simple, regional, and if it's done right it's not the new players that will hesitate to use it-- I'd bet it would be the veterans of MO1 who remember the way it wasn't.

These current forums don't even have a Marketplace, and I think that is a clue that MO2 players can use the in-game systems, or build their own outside of the game (as people always do, even in games with many instant, even automatic conveniences & fast travel, etc.), but Star Vault itself isn't going to compete with its own in-game systems for you.

Lastly, if you were adverising your needs in-game and possibly out-of-game as well, to other players and few of them wanted to take your jobs, maybe it was just you they didn't want to do business with. Maybe the ones who did take the jobs, but did them slowly, were really bad at providing service. Maybe... the things you want to get done in the game are not possible at the pace at which you'd like to get them done, not by hiring help.

Note: I wrote 'maybe'.
View attachment 2086
The problem wasn't my request or my desires being too complex of a job, In Mo1 I played off and on. I felt like if you died you had to farm it all back up, and that it could become very time consuming, and the repetitiveness of it all, when the materials you use in combat costed money, and the reward of things you could farm effectively solo, didn't quite give you much reward in return for your game play. You could farm graveyard for example with a 10g Cuprum weapon from Mo1 broker, but once the weapon broke, you would be hard pressed to have 10g returned to you. So you could farm bandits or Razor Pigs and get slightly ahead, but if you died to a player you had to use a standard starter sword to farm until you could get the cuprum weapon to farm faster, and by the time the cuprum weapon broke you barely had enough gold to replace it. Mo1 had very miserable farming that made most of the game and what you could accomplish as a solo player feel very repetitive. I remember there wasn't a lot of information on google about Mo1 either, and it took time for people to figure out best weapons and farming ect. It wasn't until Sarducca until it became much easier to farm gold solo. Honestly I dare say, I am not the only person who thinks these things. Today in fact I logged in after 2 weeks.... And there was a Player in Help chat wondering what to do in game. And he literally said he logs in to kill players and then logs off because there is nothing to do. I also saw almost every player in town was in a guild.