Bi-Monthly Mortal Online II Feedback Thread #4 - Lawless Zones and Neutral Guards

Robmo

Community Manager
Staff member
Dec 9, 2021
Bi-Monthly Mortal Online II Feedback Thread #4 - Lawless Zones and Neutral Guards

Hello Mortals,

As we begin to design the specifics of our new Zone Rules for the Epic Store Release. We have to determine the purpose of each zone, what it does and how it affects the gameplay of PvE or PvP. While we were working on the “Lawless” Zone, we had a few ideas or directions we could go in which we wanted to get feedback from the players who play more criminal or “red” roles within the game. As these designs are not final, what they may become could change or what they are called may change.

Purpose of the Lawless Zone

We want to encourage PvP play in these zones. We want to give a location where players can expect that it will be dangerous and the risk is the highest. Going into these zones, players must be prepared. The current draft of this zone is to have a place where players can get PvP action quickly, and to do this we may provide more red priests in these zones. This zone will be a zone where players can not report murders. So you may fight to your heart’s content without reputation loss.

With guards, we understand that there are many opinions regarding where they should and should not be. Instead of making a decision blindly, we wanted to get opinions from the players who will interact with these zones. Below will be the options and some minor explanation of what they COULD do;

Note: The poll will not mark the final decision, it is there to give us information ONLY.

Option 1: “Lawless” Zones never have any guards (other than TC)

Simply, this option means no guards will be added as NPCs in the open world or POIs of these zones. The only exception may be if a guild/player adds guards to protect their lands via Territory Control.

Option 2: “Lawless” Zones have a very limited guard presence

This option would add a few areas on the zone where a red player could recuperate with a light amount of protection. This could include a vendor, or a bank, to help you get supplies for the fight. The guards would be Elite and/or Regular only. There would only be a small handful of 2-5 total guards.

If you're attacked in front of these guards, they'll react and protect you. But they will not attack anyone for having low rep or for any criminal actions they aren't directly aware of. The goal would be to create some sense of sanctuary within an area where crimes, even within the guarded area, cannot be reported.

Link to poll on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/MortalOnline2/comments/11duvs4
Thank you for taking the time to participate in this poll and to give us additional feedback. We encourage you to share this poll with friends and other player of Mortal Online II.

• Angry
Reactions: Xunila and Jybwee

Robmo

Community Manager
Staff member
Dec 9, 2021
Quick Edit Under Option 2

" These locations are designed that they can be overrun"

Gladiator

Apr 26, 2022
to be fair, anything that is further than 1 kilometer from any town should be a lawless zone. There should be more lawless zones than non-lawless zones, i mean, it makes no sense that you get reported for murder simply because the guy spawned half way across the map, when the only thing seeing you commit your act was a steppe rabbit on the cenntral Plains.

Reactions: Zbuciorn and Jybwee

Gnidex

Feb 2, 2022
The key in zones in eve and albion is resource availability. The more dangerous the area the better the rewards.
I see no mention of this and judging by the slim pve content we have, SV missed this part. Then again, what would they add, more bandits and risars? Sators? We'r running out of mobs already.
If you are adding lawless zones you need to remove parcels and replace it with permared or DIFFICULT processes to raise your standiing back up.

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
I wish we did not have to sign up for an outside source to make an official vote but...

Voted “Lawless” Zones never have any guards (other than TC)

Leave that choice to the players that control the area.

I would also add that murder consequences could be higher after the addition since there will be less non legit murderers.

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
Imagine thinking about putting guards on a LAWLESS zone.... smh

And I see that TC guards are pretty much confirmed then? Nice I guess we can assume TC is gonna be dogshit just like MO1 since guards still hit through walls

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
to be fair, anything that is further than 1 kilometer from any town should be a lawless zone. There should be more lawless zones than non-lawless zones, i mean, it makes no sense that you get reported for murder simply because the guy spawned half way across the map, when the only thing seeing you commit your act was a steppe rabbit on the cenntral Plains.

I agree, more or less, maybe there could be some paths that were lawful, not so much protected/patrolled, but something that you could stay on and stay away from the riff raff, (unless people raw pk'd you, hue,) but you could also have the chance to go off road and be lawless. I think the idea of a lawless ZONE is bad, as I've said. There needs to be so much lawless territory that it's almost impossible NOT to cross it, and there needs to be so much that it can't be possibly zerged or dominated. At least IMO.

I mean, sausage lake and around, lawless, NE lawless, Toxai area and around. Lawless, Meduli deep desi Lawless, Jungle Lawless. Where am I missing? haha.

Also not a fan of neutral guards unless they are placed by GMs to protect a spot. I don't think people should be buying guards, still. I also don't agree with the idea of more priests/chests everywhere... in fact, I'd like to have an area where if you 'sent someone home,' you knew they would be out of it for awhile... of course alts, but...

manure

May 7, 2022
Jesus... Stop talking about GUARDS for christ sake.

Just remove every single guard from outside town and that is it. Plain and simple.

Everytime I read about devs thinking about changing something with guards it makes me feel REALLY stressed and pissed off...
I cant stop thinking about how they completely ruined Meduli last year with all those guards added far outside town, even inside the graveyard...
That was the stupidest patch ever in this game.

Please stop with this idea of safe zones, or big consequences to PKs, or stat loss, more guards... argh.
This is Mortal Online !

If you want safety, go play any of the 5000 garbage mmos out there. They re all the same and have all these protections that you like so much.

Say NO to any guards anywhere outside town !

Malmsteen

Jul 29, 2022
Why would there be "zones" at all? Player driven politics decide what locations may be more dangerous. This sounds like an invasive mechanic... Maybe I'm not understanding it fully. Also, lawless towns and guards sounds like an oxymoron. This is a hardcore sandbox right? Let's not mickey mouse the game up for an influx of new players. Either they can handle it or not.

Highlander

Oct 27, 2021
for real..what are they talking about? zones, guards, protection? this is mortal online, we dont need more guards, and losing standing should work only in cities range ( to avoid grief inside cities/around city walls/gy), there is no reason to report people at priests if they die into the wild, pks already pay the act to kill with theyr Name, theyexpose themselves, and will have their consequences by being blacklisted from guilds.

Wollkneul

May 28, 2020
I'm pretty sure some of the players here that complain about guards in lawless zones will also cry about being spawn killed non stop at these zones

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
Why would there be "zones" at all? Player driven politics decide what locations may be more dangerous. This sounds like an invasive mechanic... Maybe I'm not understanding it fully. Also, lawless towns and guards sounds like an oxymoron. This is a hardcore sandbox right? Let's not mickey mouse the game up for an influx of new players. Either they can handle it or not.

From the way I am understanding it, the lawless zones will have less rules/laws than any area in the current world.

So in these new lawless zones players will be able to fight in wars, ambush or what ever with out fear of murdercounts and other punishments.

Only those that continue to do such things in the more lawful areas (near towns and such.) will be punished in the current way.

I could be way off but that is how I always envisioned it when the idea was presented in the past.

Reactions: Jethub

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Please consider my feedback, SV! I don't wanna talk about neutral guards, but, again, in regards to lawless 'zones,' I feel like they would just get camped.

I had suggested 2 things 1 being an open pvp flag/post that would open a zone up for pvp for x amount of time when you placed it. And the other being something that a player can wear, like a red tabard, that makes them red/open pvp. Of course, there is the problem with what to do when people DO kill as a 'murder' or when an open pvp person kills a non-pvp person. I don't know what the difference would be, but I honestly think it should be a raw buff to rep loss/fewer MCs just for holding up that flag. It could even give you a bonus to killing non-pvps.

I mean, you go in town, you go to equip vendor, you buy pvp tabard for 2g or whatever, slap it on, you are set. Anyone w/ that on is a target. You also get a better idea of what people are coming at you with. People wanna fight, but I think a lot of us wanna fight EVERYWHERE haha. It makes sense to have an override AoE flag for pvp or a personal (which would be more difficult, cuz the override would just be blanket and wouldn't require rule changes, it would just be bloodbath in there... still think that's the idea least likely to be trash.)

Buuut, I mean, eventually, yeah, I want people to be able to make their area lawful if they want to. Change the rep rules, etc... but at base, there should be ways to make open pvp and not lawless zones. The flag works cuz not only does it allow pvp to happen anywhere without worries about who is in what guild or whatever, but it would be destroy-able, so people who came in like yeah you ready!! and just got scraped out and lose their flag money or w/e it is.

Mainly, I don't care if people wanna place that shit right outside of town, in the GY, whatever, that's content. I feel like it's so much more simple to do things that way than lawless zones unless you wanna really open up the map in terms of lawlessness. And as I've said before more people = more order. + order would happen after some level of PKing.

I mean, I can just see all of the lawless zones being places I don't even like to go haha. DON'T DO IT. We need player driven, interactive... like daily changing pvp content. PLEASE.

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
In my eyes the whole world at base should be a lawless zone without guards and such.

Then NPC towns can have law in and around them and players could set up their own lawful towns/areas as well if they choose.

This could lead to conflict and a world that is ever changing.

To me that would be the most sandbox way.

Reactions: Highlander

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
In my eyes the whole world at base should be a lawless zone without guards and such.

Then NPC towns can have law in and around them and players could set up their own lawful towns/areas as well if they choose.

This could lead to conflict and a world that is ever changing.

To me that would be the most sandbox way.

Indeed, it might be rough at first, but things would settle, then we'd get a world where 'actions mattered.' Nothing like living in a world on the brink of war. Imagine your whole guild getting mad cuz you made the wrong move and got decced. Opposed to having to wait 180 sec, run parcels, not be able to bag stolen loot, etc, which is more sandboxy??