Armor crafting feedback

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
Armor crafting has been out for a bit and I think all interested players had time to learn their way around.

Now to start with I think the new armor sets and all the pieces look good and work well together. Having only 5 instead of 10 pieces reduces clutter. So I won´t argue that SV needs to go back to having 10 pieces. But I do think they should make armor crafting interesting to CRAFTERS again. Those that just craft armor because they don´t want to buy it won´t be affected . They will follow the FOTM recipes like they have done in Mortal Online 1.

Going down from 10 to 5 pieces did reduce complexity and customization. I loved armor crafting in MO1 and thought it was a good system. Being able to tailor armor to specific weight, optimizing protection and making it look good was fun.

To get that enjoyment back I propose two changes:

Add a third material to armor crafting.
I would go with a second padding materials. So you could craft f.e. a steel/ironsilk/ironwool merc torso.

The new material should show as a texture after the crafting is done allowing for more customization of looks without adding new pieces.
The new material should influence the protection and weight in a more significant way than the current padding. Or at the least the combination should because the current padding slider is basically useless.

I leave the details to SV. Farmerjoe stated that it should be possible since it´s "just code".

Change the calculations for armor related penalties so that there is more variety when choosing what weight you want to wear.

Currently after you hit a certain weight you get an increased stamina drain and reduced jump height. If you go over the weight allowed by your armortraining you suffer movement speed penalties. I think the latter can stay, since only super heavy armor should reduce your actual movement speed.

Here is a very professional graph I made to illustrate:
armorsugg.png

The graph for stamina drain could be used for jump height as well.

Instead of having certain weight be "ideal" you would have a curve where players can make meaningful choices regarding to their armor weight. This in turn would lead to armor crafters being able to provide the best possible protection for every weight relying on experimentation and experience - rather than just having a "5-, 10- and 20- weight set".

TLDR:
SV wanted feedback on armor crafting. The new armors and 5 pieces are great looking but lack depth.
Howtosolve:
- Add third material for looks and more depth in crafting
- Make penalties gradual rather than with thresholds

@Henrik Nyström @Sebastian Persson @Herius

Looking forward to everyones input.

Last edited:

Vakirauta

May 28, 2020
Poland
Everything you suggest is a great idea but I also want to visually know if someone is running in oghmium or steel like it was before. Same for the weapons but thats the other topic. Maybe I'm just blind but i dont see differences atm.
It all looks boring for me now that I didn't even go deeper. Maybe the reason is that there are not many armor types to craft, I dunno.

Reactions: Bicorps

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
Everything you suggest is a great idea but I also want to visually know if someone is running in oghmium or steel like it was before. Same for the weapons but thats the other topic. Maybe I'm just blind but i dont see differences atm.
It all looks boring for me now that I didn't even go deeper. Maybe the reason is that there are not many armor types to craft, I dunno.

According to the roadmap we should be able to see the materials stuff is made off at the end of november. I´m assuming that goes for armor and weapons. Currently it all looks like steel.

This is partly the reason why I suggested this fairly early. SV has the the option to include the third material into their plans for how armor should look and how textures work out. It´s also early enough to balance the equation IMO.

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
According to the roadmap we should be able to see the materials stuff is made off at the end of november. I´m assuming that goes for armor and weapons. Currently it all looks like steel.

This is partly the reason why I suggested this fairly early. SV has the the option to include the third material into their plans for how armor should look and how textures work out. It´s also early enough to balance the equation IMO.
True, but question is if they can do it.

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
I´m sure SV wants to improve on Mo1. The current system is a step backwards if kept like this. They should take the time it needs to "perfect" systems this time around. Rushing things out was what made many systems in MO1 flawed.
Yes very true.

Reactions: Vagrant

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
It seems like to me that they are releasing the persistent world, but not considering that to be game release in a traditional sense. As in, it will be beta with a persistent world for a while and just not wipe at the end.

Reactions: Vakirauta

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
I think everyone agrees that the schedule is very ambitious. So far they have been keeping up with the road map, which is a good sign.

My problem is that they seem to have the same approach to crafting the first time around, when the system were set in stone for 10 years. This is why they need to get it right before we go into persistent. It does not help that it´s called "combat" alpha which won´t attract a lot of purely crafting focused folks that are actually affected by this.

I think someone who only crafts out of necessity is not gonna be bothered by the current system. You WILL loose the dedicated crafting crowd, some of which payed years of subscription just to explore all the different crafting systems.

Last edited:

Zyconnic

May 28, 2020
Denmark
Great idea regarding changing the math!
Thresholds are probably hard to balance correctly and making it a flat increase would give crafters more control and SV an easier job.

Reactions: Eldrath

Svaar

Nov 4, 2020
Russia/Moscow
Need to diversify the armor and make it possible to add guild logos to cloaks, moisture, and so on, or give the opportunity to paint them. also change their appearance if the same armor is made of different materials. so that the head of the guild can customize the appearance of the cloak, flag, and so on. how it is done on the example of the game "life is feudal"

Reactions: Zbuciorn