Aku and Rolufes document of griefing, law system and faction pvp.

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
Pretty sure they changed it after we lost the 2 keeps. I could be wrong, that whole time was just a complete mess. Whole guilds whiped of the map cuz of some special resource accounting... TC towers in unreachable locations, guilds walling off a capital and dungeons , GMs deleting things cuz the enemy faction complained and a great number of other things. Large parts of the population quitting the game for Albion and other games cuz of the previous reason. Quite safe to say it was one of the worst moments in MO1.

Quite sure SV isnt all that fond of me mentioning this either, cuz it also seems they just wanna forget about MO1 😅
Relic keep was the first to go down if i remember correctly. The scraps hotfix happened like one day before ID keep siege, or maybe a few days before. But the timing was the worst decision i've seen in a game dude. I remember this cuz we were organizing that siege.

That patch instead of making everyone to ragequit made people even more angry and the commitment was to erradicate the favored faction off the game. At that point the war was about pushing people off the game and it was in part cuz of the special treatment, people was tired of players involved in the development and the introduction of arbitrary mechanics that favored certain groups.

Not really worth bringing this up, i've only mentioned this only because i'd like to see a professional and involved team on th community's feedback through the appropiate channels and not some random fuck with a personal agenda slipping shit under the table.

Last edited:

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Problem Is when dog ass suggestions bypass the regular methods and go through a direct line, when SV should be checking forums and even preparing answers and statements towards players conocerns.

Like in MO1, sieging TC would drop scraps and before a big siege (not gonna give names) someone slipped a "suggestion" through a direct line and SV ended up doing a hotfix that almost removed completly the scraps mechanics, and it was clearly why. I'd hate to see that kind of personal treatment in MO2, wouldn't you?

I dunno. lol. Speaking of like I said "don't be a dick," I try not to be a dick, but I also try to be 100, y'know? Well sometimes I try to be a dick as a joke. I'd just think by now SV would have a trusted group of people, even if they did have a direct pipeline, who had their finger on the pulse of the game. I'm not mad about anything, per se, but some of these suggestions have real flaws. I mean the first thing you think of is HOW CAN THIS BE EXPLOITED. Like the if a guard sees it and guards aggro, you just think of how people can drag guards either away or to something. Or how pathing guards in MO would be disappearing like pets prol. Conceptually, I don't disagree with a lot of the ideas presented in the document. I do think they are unnecessarily complex in some cases and in others maybe hard to implement. I think my idea is unnecessarily SIMPLE but it could be built upon. It's somewhere to start. Like I said, let people who like MO for the pve flag as pve. There seem to be a bunch. Then when someone kills them, make them have to own up to it in some manner. That goes beyond community policing. And some people might wanna pvp, but they aren't established yet, so they want to blue flag it and build up. No one should have a problem with that, imo. If all PKers had blue flag alts to gear them, no one should have a problem with that, either, IMO. It's not IDEAL but if the system works in every other way, then that's not a huge L to take.

If we can all be local grey if we open up to pvp, though, it will change the dynamics and make a lot of things that are griefy or obtuse unnecessary. It will eliminate the need to wardec to fight, allow multiple groups to fight without explicitly deccing, it has a broad range of positives. The negatives are that it could lead to 'death match pvp' between local greys, as what's-his-name said. That could be addressed in some manner, but it would at least separate the people who say "forced pvp = no buy ( a thread on steam)" from people who pvp. Those people can still get forced pvp, but it would be an actual murder incident. It wouldn't be so punishing it would not happen, but it would be like why even do it when you got all these local greys to fight. You would have to have a vendetta or premeditated motive, thus adding to the 'murder' aspect. Then we can actually agree on some PKs being murder because there is no way those characters could have done anything pvp oriented to deserve it.

The perma grey flag (outside of guarded areas, obv) is just because there's no way to make it not exploitable if you have a changing flag. I said about my guild "We'll be playing a different game." Well, pvpers and non pvpers are playing a different game. There would still be murderers, people would still die, but at least the community would support them instead of basically say suck it up open pvp. Or, in general you'd think they would. Because they would not have chosen open pvp. It's a one way choice, but it adds a level of authenticity to it. Not that you are just some blue flag who has done who knows what in the past.

It'd also be interesting to see how people flagged, like percentage wise, to see what the true population of MO is. People debate, but that would pretty much end the debate with hard evidence. Would you give up all chance to pvp (except in, doods trying to murder me defense) for the chance to be an innocent? Like I said, I know a lot of people would, but how many?

Plus all these hard talking dudes would get clowned for flagging blue EVER. People could come into the game, get their feet wet, and then start pvp when they are ready. The wild is already, as said, fight or flight when you see someone, this might change that a bit. I think resources, map size, and politics will help prevent it becoming overly 'death matchy', at least in enough portions of the map for people to live in, and when they wanted that level of pvp, they could go to the places where it was. Like dudes really think a place like Bakti would degenerate to a PK zone if everyone was local grey? IMO people would band together and grief out the people who are overly aggressive, and they wouldn't have to manage flags or decs to do it.

It could fail spectacularly, but the part that would fail would be the grey part. That's the part that would need work. The innocent part is pretty fail safe IMO except in the instance of spies, but since we have ghost spies... y'know ambassadors exist, too. I think it would really clean it up, and while it wouldn't prevent innocents from being PK'd, it would allow the community to (probably?) support them as a true murder victim opposed to someone who we dunno what they did and maybe got killed for a reason we don't know about.

It's not fail safe, but it's a frame work. I'm not the only one with ideas, but I can say that we need serious serious discussion on this idea. I am not opposed to giving people who want to be pve only special bonuses like harsh penalties for PKing them. Doesn't mean the penalty won't be worth it sometimes, for various reasons (sandbox.) Doesn't mean the penalty will be something that will make you -100 rep or whatever. But it will be something with enough substance to deter people who want to fight when they can just as easily fight local greys, loot them, etc.

And lastly if like 75% of the population flags innocent, then I'd be surprised, but it would go even further... basically the more people who flag innocent the better the system would work. There would be more potential victims, but the pool of open pvpers would be smaller so true pvpers could not feel like they were always getting zerged or whatever. I'm definitely into making MO into a livable world and adding in PvP on top of that because THE WORLD HAS COMBAT. Some of us can handle disputes with words, but even then, sometimes it gets serious. Soliders and civilians, tho, what could go wrong??

Edit: and if people have the argument people could be not 'innocent' due to things they orchestrated or whatever, I would look at it like when we kill a political leader, it's still an assassination (a form of murder.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Rolufe

Rolufe

Jun 1, 2020
This was my and Akus idea from the start, that we have a public discussion and why we made it public trough Bratwires podcast. Both RPK and ID as well as many of the Artisans already read trough this and most if not all seem to like it so far. Reason why it didn't end up here until months later is cuz i forgot to post it before the podcast and after the podcast is sort of just died off. Now i just felt like what we brought to Henrik after so many approving the idea never really got touched on so i want even more people to read trough it and we can discuss it and improving it further. Maybe SV picks it up eventually when they get to the point where they feel like they got the time for this. Currently tons of other things that is more important. Sadly some of these things would been great if it could been in on release. This might speed things up if we make it good. Devs input would also be greatly appreciated. @Sebastian Persson @Henrik Nyström

Anyway lets get to it.

Majority of the people that disliked it here so far seem to fear the -100 rep when murdering someone within the range of a guard and the mid/low security areas of the factions. I would be fully alright with making the negative rep for murder to be less impacting. However it needs to be punishing enough that they cant just be allowed to keep doing it over and over while also not too punishing they are better of remaking the character like it was in MO1. It also must be something you can actively do to repair rep like the tasks, rather than afk waiting for hours and statloss like MO1. Hopefully tasks will be more advanced and interesting to do. Also the bounty hunting system could also grant rep per bounty, ones it comes.

WARNING THIS SECTION IS SORT OF OFF TOPIC JUST JUMP OVER IF YOU WANNA CONTINUE.
My brain might just have had sort of a brilliant idea... that instead of removing the current global law you make it based on faction territory where if you beat a criminal you can capture them while in mercy mode and bring them in to the local authorities. However this could also just make it so the criminal is fucked and cant ever play again cuz someone just runs around with your character forever captured... 😅 I guess if captured it would have to be similar to a execution where the captured player dies and you bring a NPC back to town. Unless it would be possible to make a system where you can pull free and try to run away. Which could also just be a ton of hassle for little to no reward, while killing them allows you to just take their loot. Not sure if this brainfart could lead anywhere... Potentially could be a alternative and would fit better in with the current system, however murdercount system has to go or need to be changed so you cant just intermix blue and red chars and block people out of town that fights you.

I will just leave that in there in case it makes sense to someone 😆

Lets get back to the previous stuff 😅
The mid/low security areas and outposts appears to mostly be a fear of bugs and rebellious AI charging off on their own. I can but hope that they fix the bugs with the AI and that AI is made smart enough to stay with their m8s and dont get pulled to far from their posting. If SV dont do this im afraid we dont have much hope for any form of law system to work. Unless the game switches to 100% player controlled and all factions are removed entirely with towns and all. This last bit would however be a massive waste of already produced lore/models.

Oh and some also mentioned that NPCs should not be allowed outside of the towns... So a lawless PVP arena 🙃 I dont think this would survive long. With players being killed as fast as they try to leave town. But try to change my mind on it anyway. Never know where it could lead.

Im certain i missed something If so please just copy paste your previous question and remind me 😅

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
Anyway lets get to it.

Majority of the people that disliked it here so far seem to fear the -100 rep when murdering someone within the range of a guard and the mid/low security areas of the factions. I would be fully alright with making the negative rep for murder to be less impacting. However it needs to be punishing enough that they cant just be allowed to keep doing it over and over while also not too punishing they are better of remaking the character like it was in MO1. It also must be something you can actively do to repair rep like the tasks, rather than afk waiting for hours and statloss like MO1. Hopefully tasks will be more advanced and interesting to do. Also the bounty hunting system could also grant rep per bounty, ones it comes.

Believe me, how fucking grindy the game is nobody will want to reroll a character just cuz negative standing. Lets not even mention how many hours does it take to read a book nor the MONTHS of gameplay will it take to get something near max clade tree.

I personally don't dislike the standing system that much aslong as they keep cooking it, and they keep adding features for accessing reputation and its possible benefits. I mean, right now as it is a negative standing player has to do really fucked up long ass tasks to restore a minimum amount of reputation. To be honest i rather have a perma outcast than having to make those runs when u can't even get to pvp cuz you might lose even more standing during the trip, since any random ass blue thats been hit by you can murdercount when ress.

And if a player killls another in guard's sight and gets such a standing loss there has to be features for that player to be able to live and do shit somewhere else than towns. Housing group support does not exist right now and unless having a personal house with your outcast character u can't even play the game or you just relay 100% on other players, if thats not fucked up idk what is.

They need to add a diversity of tasks where people can populate the empty world.

Rolufe

Jun 1, 2020
Believe me, how fucking grindy the game is nobody will want to reroll a character just cuz negative standing. Lets not even mention how many hours does it take to read a book nor the MONTHS of gameplay will it take to get something near max clade tree.

I personally don't dislike the standing system that much aslong as they keep cooking it, and they keep adding features for accessing reputation and its possible benefits. I mean, right now as it is a negative standing player has to do really fucked up long ass tasks to restore a minimum amount of reputation. To be honest i rather have a perma outcast than having to make those runs when u can't even get to pvp cuz you might lose even more standing during the trip, since any random ass blue thats been hit by you can murdercount when ress.

And if a player killls another in guard's sight and gets such a standing loss there has to be features for that player to be able to live and do shit somewhere else than towns. Housing group support does not exist right now and unless having a personal house with your outcast character u can't even play the game or you just relay 100% on other players, if thats not fucked up idk what is.

They need to add a diversity of tasks where people can populate the empty world.
Yea its gonna be more grindy than MO1 due to the clade gifts, but people did delete characters in MO1, cuz they had hundreds of murdercounts and was faster to remake than wait it out.

I do like the rep system as well its just currently a bit to weak punishments so people just constantly goes to murder people or kill some pets and then heads out waiting the criminal off and then right back to it. ones their rep is getting low they do some tasks and heads over to the next area to do the same thing while getting new rep.

Shared ownership and guild systems for houses would be really nice. You can go to other factions but you cant really access your bank in the city you lost rep with. So to get access to it you would have to do tasks to get positive rep again.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
I just think making people KoS to guards that aren't town griefing is a bad look. You want people in towns. Some people might have to pay like increased broker tax or have the guards not protect THEM, but I've always disliked that people can't enter towns when towns are such a big part of the game. A red in old MO entering a town would get everyone riled up and would thus be good for the game.

Towns should be the outposts for everyone. I think MO was at its worst when everyone was living out of structures w/ TC and towns were basically empty. Stuff like when they put up red brokers for towns outside of town, that was good content. Even if towns had little red camps w/ some essential NPCs.

People talked about re: banning people that it could encourage bad behavior to be too hard on people. While I dunno if I think it's relevant in that instance, banning people FROM TOWNS and making them 'murder hobos' might. It all just goes to make the game into a pyramid of large alliances that can do whatever they want because they don't need towns and oppresses the small group/solo player. Bad look.

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
Whats funny is -100 isnt really any different than the current. You are going negative either way if you pvp currently. And once you go negative theres no reason to not go all the way. So I'd take -100 in lawful area if it came with the incredibly needed, lawless areas, which dont lose standing.

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
Whats funny is -100 isnt really any different than the current. You are going negative either way if you pvp currently. And once you go negative theres no reason to not go all the way. So I'd take -100 in lawful area if it came with the incredibly needed, lawless areas, which dont lose standing.
The difference being that -100 would make it too easy to accidentally go negative.

Rolufe

Jun 1, 2020
The difference being that -100 would make it too easy to accidentally go negative.
In the current system you go negative all the time wherever you kill someone. Might even lose rep with the faction owning the banks you stored stuff in and you cant control that. Its all in the hands of who you killed or where part of damaging that lead to their death. It don't really punish people since they might have 100 rep with the faction so they can commit murder 50-100 times(depending on murdercount report of the murdered player and guard aggro) while guards are seeing them do it. I guess they got a hard time putting 2 and 2 together and realize you where the murderer they saw planting a axe in everyone's head all day long 😅

If SV goes with our way, the chance you accidentally murder someone is extremely low as you would first have to turn the criminal actions on and then you would have to kill someone in the range of a guard.Even with mid/low sec areas you would end up with something around 90% of the map being lawless. It also allow blue players to fight on a even ground to anyone else and not be the constant underdogs cuz the RPKer might be blue or have blue buddies. You wouldn't get any negative rep as long as you keep the killing away from guards but It is punishing if you do it within the range of a guard. However im open to lowering the punishment from instantly putting you to -100 to something like -50 or something as long as you wont be seeing the same guy doing it over and over again within a few days. The punishment cant be to large as to make it futile but it shouldnt be to easy either.

Edit: Humans is sort made to be some slippery criminals with the rep perk. It makes quite a huge difference on what rep damage is even considered a punishment for them.

I just think making people KoS to guards that aren't town griefing is a bad look. You want people in towns. Some people might have to pay like increased broker tax or have the guards not protect THEM, but I've always disliked that people can't enter towns when towns are such a big part of the game. A red in old MO entering a town would get everyone riled up and would thus be good for the game.

Towns should be the outposts for everyone. I think MO was at its worst when everyone was living out of structures w/ TC and towns were basically empty. Stuff like when they put up red brokers for towns outside of town, that was good content. Even if towns had little red camps w/ some essential NPCs.

People talked about re: banning people that it could encourage bad behavior to be too hard on people. While I dunno if I think it's relevant in that instance, banning people FROM TOWNS and making them 'murder hobos' might. It all just goes to make the game into a pyramid of large alliances that can do whatever they want because they don't need towns and oppresses the small group/solo player. Bad look.

Yea i see your point since it would make it even trickier to reach task giver and bounty hunter contracts, to get rep again with the mid/low sec.
Might need some form of neutral towns you could go into and get these missions for the other factions. I do however think these "towns" would only work if they have their own law system to keep order, being factions of their own. Kranesh would be a perfect place i think, but i know the guys living in that area would get salty if there all of a sudden is some form of order taking away their option to just murder anyone coming by.

I personally think NPCs should be removed completely from towns like Kranesh and GK as long as there is no one to protect them from who ever would decide to mess with their business . I would however be fine with NPCs there if they got their own local faction of bandit/merc guards.

Jungle camp is also a bit weird as its only supposed to be a camp for a group of treasure hunters to have a base while checking local temples for loot. For some reason it got a bank and vendors. It now seems more of a little public resting spot for travelers. It does however suffer from the save problem as Kranesh and GK. Oh and im forgetting CC also being some form of lawless camp. I dont really understand these places. Some form of pvp hot spots and these peaceful NPCs are just hoping roaming bandit dont murder them i guess.

Last edited:

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
But yes, we would need a MUCH better and more refined system for this to ever work. Where its really obvious that you are in the dont kill people area, or really obvious that you wont lose standing because you arent. But we wont get anything this solid. Theres so many bugs in the current system that I'd never trust a -100. And while -100 promotes towns being a safe zone, its not needed. Because any criminal players will go negative quickly regardless. So theres no reason to make it more punishing, it wont really do anything besides screw nubs who didnt know.

Tashka

Dec 4, 2021
I hope none of this passes SV's sanity chek. We need forced wardecs, and we need more lawless camps - one for each area.

Or this.