After Haven: how to choose a city for newcomers to MO

MazinkaiserDX

Nov 4, 2021
MO veterans know who's who, what's what and where's all that. You know which guilds make which towns their stomping grounds, who has a beef with who and each zone's characteristics. So, my guess is you already know exactly where you are going to go after Haven.
New players don't have that. After Haven you get a choice and it might as well just choose randomly for you because the names on the list don't mean anything for the new player. Of course, you can always just go to a different city if you don't like your choice but considering your Haven bank gets automatically transferred to the bank of your chosen city, switching will be slow and dangerous.

I still don't know where I'll go after Haven when the game releases, but for now on the beta I chose Meduli because I happened to watch a video about horse taming being around there and I found out Saburra is also found around that zone, which interests me a lot as an armor crafter. Other than that, still pretty much clueless.

So I was thinking, maybe vets can help put together some tips for new players on how to choose their first city after Haven. :)

Amelia

Jun 6, 2020
Well, Mo2 official discord and forum could help a bit. Also It depends of your playstile and what you like to do and role in Myrland. Like new player I'll avoid Red towns (gaul khur, kranesh) for sure.
Edit: i e. If you Plan to be and alchemist Meduli Is the First choice because the easy gathering of Sea dew

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
Based on my experience so far in MO2:

Tindrem:
I would stay away from Tindrem until you've acclimatised yourself with how the game systems work and you're comfortable with being in a big city (which is quite big as it is even without the slums, port district, rich district and mage towers). The rooftops and structures are designed deviously in such a way that thieves and parkour enthusiasts will find most beneficial.

There are three entry/exit points, one of which to the south is notoriously dangerous as the area just outside of it is wide open spaces with woodland cover not far from it, allowing player bandits to hide and wait for suitable targets for highway robbery or worse.

Meduli:
Meduli is naturally going to be an ideal choice for beginners as it has an abundance of saburra all around it, pigs for meat and leather, and a steppe horse spawn not too far to the east. It is literally the cuprum manufacturing hub of the continent, or at least on the western seaboard.

But it's also completely wide open, so if you try to leave anyone can see you, and you will be at their mercy. It also lacks the abundant carrots and cabbages that Fabernum has. You'll have to make do with wolfbrush, basil and anything else you can scavenge from the barren desert landscape.

Fabernum:
Fabernum is my ideal starting location and where I will be based (for now) due to its abundance of natural resources, food for yourself and your pets carnivores and herbivores alike, and the ease with which to find numerous detours if you need to sneak out quietly and unseen.

It is also somewhat situated in the top-middle part of the continent, allowing you to reduce your travel time slightly to any location except the most southern parts like the jungle, for example.

You can easily make steel in Fabernum as it has both granum and calx well within reach just outside of its gates. Dapplewood and a few other wood types (if I recall correctly) is also in abundant supply right outside for those making bows and weapon handles. It also has its own vegetable garden that grows carrots and cabbages, and pig spawns inside and out of the town.

It is however also one of the towns where player bandits like to camp the woods and remain practically unseen until their prey comes right to them unawares, as the mountainous region provides numerous chokepoints and deadends where ambushes can be easily carried out.

As for the other towns and cities, I've yet to live there for extended periods of time so I can't speak on those. Since the game world is so large now, I find myself travelling mainly around the region that contains Fabernum, Tindrem and Meduli which, combined, probably has the land area of the entire old Myrland in MO1.

Last edited:

Xunila

May 28, 2020
Germany
For a new player probably Tindrem is a very good choice. This main city has been the used for trading in MO1 very much, has the sewers as easy dungeon and is not far away to Meduli and Fabernum (each about 15 minutes or less on a horse).

Reactions: MazinkaiserDX

MazinkaiserDX

Nov 4, 2021
As a new player there is alot you will not know.

Picking a starting city is a first step in the journey that most of us had to take as well.

Yeah, but it's different when everybody is in a similar starting position because the world/game is new. The dust was in the air. MO1 ran for 10 years, and though I assume not everyone playing MO2 was around for the whole MO1 ten years, most did for a good chunk of that time. So the dust is now settled.
It's kind of like.... transferring to a new school for the last year? You have to put the effort, of course, but it's a better experience if someone helps introducing you to this "new community".

Based on my experience so far in MO2:

Tindrem:
I would stay away from Tindrem until you've acclimatised yourself with how the game systems work and you're comfortable with being in a big city (which is quite big as it is even without the slums, port district, rich district and mage towers). The rooftops and structures are designed deviously in such a way that thieves and parkour enthusiasts will find most beneficial.

There are three entry/exit points, one of which to the south is notoriously dangerous as the area just outside of it is wide open spaces with woodland cover not far from it, allowing player bandits to hide and wait for suitable targets for highway robbery or worse.

Meduli:
Meduli is naturally going to be an ideal choice for beginners as it has an abundance of saburra all around it, pigs for meat and leather, and a steppe horse spawn not too far to the east. It is literally the cuprum manufacturing hub of the continent, or at least on the western seaboard.

But it's also completely wide open, so if you try to leave anyone can see you, and you will be at their mercy. It also lacks the abundant carrots and cabbages that Fabernum has. You'll have to make do with wolfbrush, basil and anything else you can scavenge from the barren desert landscape.

Fabernum:
Fabernum is my ideal starting location and where I will be based (for now) due to its abundance of natural resources, food for yourself and your pets carnivores and herbivores alike, and the ease with which to find numerous detours if you need to sneak out quietly and unseen.

It is also somewhat situated in the top-middle part of the continent, allowing you to reduce your travel time slightly to any location except the most southern parts like the jungle, for example.

You can easily make steel in Fabernum as it has both granum and calx well within reach just outside of its gates. Dapplewood and a few other wood types (if I recall correctly) is also in abundant supply right outside for those making bows and weapon handles. It also has its own vegetable garden that grows carrots and cabbages, and pig spawns inside and out of the town.

It is however also one of the towns where player bandits like to camp the woods and remain practically unseen until their prey comes right to them unawares, as the mountainous region provides numerous chokepoints and deadends where ambushes can be easily carried out.

As for the other towns and cities, I've yet to live there for extended periods of time so I can't speak on those. Since the game world is so large now, I find myself travelling mainly around the region that contains Fabernum, Tindrem and Meduli which, combined, probably has the land area of the entire old Myrland in MO1.

I actually considered Fabernum as a good newbie starting place because you are already somewhat familiar with the area but in my case and my brother's we were like "I want to see something new!", since we are playing the beta to get a feeling of the game. But iirc you also need Saburra dust to make steel, right? :unsure: (proper steel). So, I figured I'd first get horses and spot some Saburra.
After we tamed some horses (Babieca and Babieco) we rode to Tindrem because we were trying to find some books and I had already seen it in your videos so I wanted to show him that town because... I mean... Roman Minas Tirith. 'nuff said. But yeah, I also agree it might be too overwhelming for new players.
(We didn't find the books we were looking for but we sure got our fill of awe :))