A few comments on the combat in Haven

Xbenedict

Apr 15, 2021
I like the block system - but my blocks often go in directions I don't intend. The low block is reliable, but the upper, left and right blocks can all default to another direction. This occurs as soon as I click to start the block - it's not affected by the direction I take the mouse.

I thought attacks following a successful parry were supposed to be full strength - but many of mine do very little damage. Every now and then, I get a good hit - but mostly not.

It would be nice to be able to equip the torch in the off-hand. In the dungeon, it is too dark to see what attacks the npcs are making without equipping it as the main weapon - which is fine unless you are not specced into clubs.

It's frustrating when the npc is almost dead and then finds the energy to sprint off into the darkness (or in one case, underwater) or into a bunch of other npcs. It is probably my connection (playing from Australia), but landing a hit on them when they are running away is almost impossible.

Probably also my connection, but I find that with bandits, I can only block and respond to every second attack. I have to let every second one through. There just isn't time to get the block and the riposte off and then block the next attack.

Loot bags sometimes spawn under the ground.

It would be nice to have some cleave - given npcs are often linked and aggro together. Maybe there is but I just haven't found the right weapon. When a group attack you, often they crowd in close so you can't really see anything or get any hits in. The block mechanic really fails here - as it really only works one on one - you can't block 3 at once.

If you equip a shield, some of the blocks obscure your vision of what the npc is doing.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
Do yourself a favour and check your ping to the server from your task manager. Anything higher than 150/200 ping and you will start to have some serious problems blocking and hitting things. The desync is not as bad as in MO1 but it’s still there. Nothing you can do but learn to live with it. It sucks living far away from the London server.

I find movement keys for both hits and blocks are much more reliable than click/drag options.

but yea, the majority of problems you are having are probably caused by high ping and/or bad internet.

the torch stuff will probably get fixed eventually as in MO1 you could have a torch in the off hand.

the mobs running away it’s just training for pvp 😉. It’s just as hard to hit players running away...and they all do when low on health. It’s why everyone uses long weapons and not short swords . Get used to it or pick up a bow.

the shield is on purpose. You get a large blocking area and a lot of protection but lose some visibility. The larger the shield the less visibility when blocking.

Last edited:
Reactions: Olympeus

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
I like the block system - but my blocks often go in directions I don't intend. The low block is reliable, but the upper, left and right blocks can all default to another direction. This occurs as soon as I click to start the block - it's not affected by the direction I take the mouse.

I thought attacks following a successful parry were supposed to be full strength - but many of mine do very little damage. Every now and then, I get a good hit - but mostly not.

It would be nice to be able to equip the torch in the off-hand. In the dungeon, it is too dark to see what attacks the npcs are making without equipping it as the main weapon - which is fine unless you are not specced into clubs.

It's frustrating when the npc is almost dead and then finds the energy to sprint off into the darkness (or in one case, underwater) or into a bunch of other npcs. It is probably my connection (playing from Australia), but landing a hit on them when they are running away is almost impossible.

Probably also my connection, but I find that with bandits, I can only block and respond to every second attack. I have to let every second one through. There just isn't time to get the block and the riposte off and then block the next attack.

It would be nice to have some cleave - given npcs are often linked and aggro together. Maybe there is but I just haven't found the right weapon. When a group attack you, often they crowd in close so you can't really see anything or get any hits in. The block mechanic really fails here - as it really only works one on one - you can't block 3 at once.

If you equip a shield, some of the blocks obscure your vision of what the npc is doing.
The problem of not getting full damage after a successful parry is a known bug that they are hopefully working on fixing. What you can do in the meantime is wait a split second before return hitting.
As for having to fight multiple bandits, just run away till they de-aggro. Try using a bow to pull one at a time, even if you have no points in archery it will let you fight just one.
For the dungeon, figure out how to raise your monitor gamma, then you won't need a torch until they fix it.
No one can catch the npc's when they do their death run, so the bow can help with that as well.
I have reported on the bug tracker about loot falling below ground, maybe if we all do they will fix it soon.
Good luck, and have fun!

Reactions: Olympeus

Xbenedict

Apr 15, 2021
Do yourself a favour and check your ping to the server from your task manager. Anything higher than 150/200 ping and you will start to have some serious problems blocking and hitting things.
Well, it’s over 300, which is a bit sad. Guess it’s crafting or nothing for me.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
Well, it’s over 300, which is a bit sad. Guess it’s crafting or nothing for me.

it is possible to fight with that high ping but it’s definitely not easy or ideal. I know there are some Australians that manage with it, but it is a handicap. Playing a mage with high ping is easier than melee but you’ll still have issues depending on who you are fighting (UE or NA).

also the people you are fighting might report you for lagging as they will also experience a lot of desync when fighting you.

this not just an Australian problem by the way. Even NA (especially west coast) also has to deal with fairly high ping issues. It sucks man. All we can do is keep asking for regional servers. One day, maybe the horse will drink the water.....

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020

Biggest Tip for new Players is that you need to bind Overhead to Q and Walk to E. This way you can hold down Q + right mouse always block upwards, no matter how you turn. If you hold down ALt + right mouse you always block mid, without having to look up and down, which leads to imput errors, if you turn while blocking. Use mouseblock only for blocking left and right. Walk on E is very helpful. If you hold down left mouse to charge an attack and press E you will cancel the attack (do a feint) Somehow Faint is named Walk is this game. if you turn with your swing. Look left if you charge a right attack and aim a bit to the ground, or if you look on the ground while doing an Overhead prevent you from getting a Handelhit with your weapon, if the enemy is really close to you. normal swings need to be charged 2,5 Seconds, comboswings 1 Second and Counterparry attacks not have to be charged at all to make full damage.

SV announced that we will be able to bind the different block directions to different keys, but still not have implemented that.

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
SV should add this to the tutorial and work out more meaningful default keybindings. Overhead on V... Thats bullshit and and walk on left control prevent you to resprint when you feint and attack, becuase feining also cancel the run. The default keybindings prevent new player to get good in combat. look how fast this guy can block.