~1k out of a possible 40k players are playing....

HurtBox

Nov 18, 2020
before people say steamdb is not accurate

No, the concurrent player counts are returned by the Steam API directly, thus are not affected by privacy settings and they are exact numbers, not estimations.

I guess the question is this game DoA? The server issues obviously hurt, but other bugs were a contributing factor. Sure it's beta, but they legit thought the game was going to launch last nov, and again in march. They've basically gave this game away, but the pop drop has been massive.

woogin

Jun 26, 2020
Those are quite numbers though, are they not? I very much don't think this game will be dead on arrival

Turbizzler

May 28, 2020
Fabernum
The numbers only account for players on at current time(concurrent) and looking at the chart is hasn't gone past 1300 players - So my guess is that is server limit for now(possibly due to crashes over the past 24 hours, SV must of set a tighter limit).

The Steam API doesn't publicly provide unique ID's playing the game throughout a 24 hour period. It just records the concurrent highs and lows. Only the Devs have access to the unique id data. I'm guessing this would be at least 5k - 10K unique IDs playing daily.

There's also not a whole lot to do currently, most of the content isn't in and a lot is being held back for persistent release. People most likely have explored most of what's available and the only thing left to do is PvP.

SoftHater

Mar 16, 2021
Hot place full of hate.
It's a beta of an MMO that is going to wipe.
It has less than 30% of claimed final game content right now and many serious bugs.

So those numbers don't really means nothing right now.
People wont spend hours of playtime in buggy game to get everything wiped in a while.

Consider it like just numbers of a demo game.
Once tried combat, gathering and crafting, "normal" players just lose interest waiting for the release, to be fully operational.
Consider even the fact free keys are gone, and many of them has being claimed by streamers followers instead of real interested players of the game genre.
Even if technically steamdb numbers are accurate, cannot be used to elaborate a real projection due to many other non technical factors.

Actual numbers has given a bit glimpse of future: with only the actual content, game is boring for big audience.
SV has to implement many other features, if they want to keep a p2p audience.
Considering that initial release plan was in 2020 fall, then march 2021, then dunno, they are running on thin ice right now.

HurtBox

Nov 18, 2020
The numbers only account for players on at current time(concurrent) and looking at the chart is hasn't gone past 1300 players - So my guess is that is server limit for now(possibly due to crashes over the past 24 hours, SV must of set a tighter limit).

The Steam API doesn't publicly provide unique ID's playing the game throughout a 24 hour period. It just records the concurrent highs and lows. Only the Devs have access to the unique id data. I'm guessing this would be at least 5k - 10K unique IDs playing daily.

There's also not a whole lot to do currently, most of the content isn't in and a lot is being held back for persistent release. People most likely have explored most of what's available and the only thing left to do is PvP.

The arguement could be made, with the size of the map, that the game needs a certain critical mass when it comes to concurrency in order for the game to feel alive. They pretty much said their working primarily on olish and fixes for EA. New content might be months away, but EA isn't. Fundamental stuff like keeps, housing, TC are a big question mark as to when.

Speznat

May 28, 2020
Tindrem
wolfszeit.online
WHat the hell you guys talk about?
Many people dont play because witht the upcoming wipes were is the point of playing. Testing okay but.
Some do testing.

I think on persistance laucnh we will have number like the spike but with players around 25k.

Not everyone who wanted got a key. Because many realised it to late. And because the server was constantly down steam couldn't trakc all the numbers. Im pretty sure that steam has also the policy that they not count if the server shuts down every 2-3hours.

Lets hope for the best for the final stats on the persistance day. That will show how huge the palyerbase really is.
asdadt.jpg

Last edited:

Evelyn

Jan 6, 2021
It's pretty normal for the testing population to severely drop a week or two after a patch. It's been that pattern for many months. Besides that though, the fact that nothing matters and will be wiped coupled with game-breaking bugs wiping people's characters skills, bank, or both has undoubtedly contributed to some people waiting for next batch or to give up on the game for now even sooner.

Stress test definitely did net a lot of new faces that will stick around and that's very exciting. Personally I feel like it's time to end it and go back to bug fixes, balance issues, and fixing the brokenass flagging/rep system that turns major towns into griefing hell.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Golden Lion

Apr 7, 2021
There has been a massive population drop over the last few days. This is why:
  1. Server crashes. Skill resets. Items vanishing
  2. Guards ruining PVE inside graveyards
  3. Guards ruining PVP close to town
  4. Lack of content (expected)
Return the graveyards and town borders to their former glory as soon as possible. Please don't make wild reaction changes in future that totally ruin the fragile balance of the game. Server has improved massively but there is not enough online to stress it now, so its not clear if the improvement was due to the upgrade or not.

I love this game and want to see it do well.

Reactions: Neftan and Eldrath

Sticks

Apr 7, 2021
SV should have had a better foundation for the game before opening up the stress test. Many people log in, realize how woefully unprepared SV was and never log in again.

Bloodterst

Dec 1, 2020
Sounds similar to the cap on steam release back in the day. Most of the issues encountered seem to be the same (db taking a poop, stuff not saving, skills not saving, having ur bank on u in the wilderness, meme que etc)

Edit:
Dug up the old thread https://starvault.se/mortalforums/threads/1k-players-limit.124438/

In this thread the steamnumbers are being denied and seb talks about telling us the actual amount but did we even get to know the number of players?
Can't remember tbh.. i do remember the problem fixing itself by ppl not playing tho.

Not trying to be an ass towards SV, mo scratches my itch, i like the game most of the time and hope they can "make it".
But hiding away stuff leaves a bad taste/ makes it come off as if ur hiding the poop

seb2015.png

Last edited:

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
The ai agro can be limiting play as well. I have been killed by creatures 10x more than by players.

Wolves, bears and the like seem to lock on you from pretty far away at times.

And they can be pretty relentless when chasing you.

Pretty sure this is not intended and will be addressed at some point.

But it could still be pretty frustrating to people trying to play currently.

Even with these numbers the cities still seem to be pretty active.

Though that will surely change when there are houses and keeps to be at as well.

HurtBox

Nov 18, 2020
WHat the hell you guys talk about?
Many people dont play because witht the upcoming wipes were is the point of playing. Testing okay but.
Some do testing.

I think on persistance laucnh we will have number like the spike but with players around 25k.

Not everyone who wanted got a key. Because many realised it to late. And because the server was constantly down steam couldn't trakc all the numbers. Im pretty sure that steam has also the policy that they not count if the server shuts down every 2-3hours.

Lets hope for the best for the final stats on the persistance day. That will show how huge the palyerbase really is.
View attachment 1609

Twitch interest doesn't equate the same in concurrency. I hope you're right tho.

Belteyn

Nov 29, 2020
Cambridge, UK
Simple fact is many people will not play every day once they have learned the basics until persistence comes. So basically 40k people have tried the game and will either be waiting for persistent Beta or release. I actually think 1k concurrent players right now is pretty good factoring this in.

That said, hopefully there will be useful spike for developers this weekend when competition happens.

KevinDL

Mar 26, 2021
I'm one of those waiting for the next phase. I've played and tested everything my heart desires for this stress test and see no reason to continue logging in right now.

That said, I imagine a lot of people tried the game and decided it isn't for them. Full loot PvP is not a popular game mechanic, add on top of that other aspects making it even more unfriendly towards the average gamer (One character per account as an example) and you have a recipe for driving players away. Many perhaps that would stay for full loot gameplay but other aspects just cross that line into the game not being on their radar anymore.

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
The incomplete flagging system is also probably giving people a misunderstanding of what the game is going to be like. Especially before they added the extra guards.

KevinDL

Mar 26, 2021
Why are people so obsessed with numbers.. If you like the game, just play it.

Maybe because in a game like this players and the resulting politics that occur between guilds / alliances is the main content for us to consume. People certainly won't stick around for the PvE.

More players = More fun = game survives long term

Few players = Less fun = game feels dead = Players quit

It's simple math, MMORPGs, particularly those of a sandbox nature, live and breathe based off the playerbase they attract and are able to retain.

Reactions: Moonman

HurtBox

Nov 18, 2020
I'm one of those waiting for the next phase. I've played and tested everything my heart desires for this stress test and see no reason to continue logging in right now.

That said, I imagine a lot of people tried the game and decided it isn't for them. Full loot PvP is not a popular game mechanic, add on top of that other aspects making it even more unfriendly towards the average gamer (One character per account as an example) and you have a recipe for driving players away. Many perhaps that would stay for full loot gameplay but other aspects just cross that line into the game not being on their radar anymore.

Full loot is more popular now with the proliferation of survival games and battle royales; something that wasn't really a thing 11 years ago. In fact mo1 pioneered a lot of the mechanics you find in modern survival games. That's why I disagree when people call mo2 a niche game. MO1 was niche 11 years ago, but mo2 is basically medival rust with a criminal system and a few additional convoluted mechanics. Theres many in the survival community that want a large scale experience like MO2. The only problem is they want it polished, and mo2 goes out of its way to inconvenience the player and provide a mediocre to bad user experience "just cause".