Mining / Gathering

Ragemeister

Jul 19, 2021
If anyone asked you "How is the mining in MO2" the obvious answer would be horribly boring.

I dont know a single person who wants to play a game to "hold R" then go afk until the rock is depleted, not only that but this gathering system does nothing but insentivise people to use a macro to farm and leaves the process of mining extremely boring and braindead, a more interactive mining system would be much more enjoyable and would be a good deterent to all these afk town miners..

Piet

May 28, 2020
How long does it take to deplete a node now? I don't really mine so idk.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
You can AFK longer at a rock then a tree I think so rocks are better.

The plan was that its exciting having to look over your shoulder expecting to be attacked, but this isnt a good idea for having fun in the game.

Raknor

Sep 14, 2021
Hyllspeia
You can AFK longer at a rock then a tree I think so rocks are better.

I haven't hit a tree in a long time but I think the tree takes longer than 4 minutes to fully deplete

The plan was that its exciting having to look over your shoulder expecting to be attacked, but this isnt a good idea for having fun in the game.

I actually enjoy it. Put some music or read something on the other screen and I mine and yes, if me or the horse gets hit by something it turns exciting really fast. People that don't like it should just buy the mats from me :p

• Love
Reactions: Najwalaylah

Ragemeister

Jul 19, 2021
I actually enjoy it. Put some music or read something on the other screen and I mine and yes, if me or the horse gets hit by something it turns exciting really fast. People that don't like it should just buy the mats from me :p

Yes because I totally play games to go AFK and not play the game at all lol

Raknor

Sep 14, 2021
Hyllspeia
Yes because I totally play games to go AFK and not play the game at all lol

I don't know who mentioned afk, unless playing music somehow stops you from looking at your screen. Again, don't enjoy go farm gold and buy it from those who do. You can play the parry minigame

Ragemeister

Jul 19, 2021
I don't know who mentioned afk, unless playing music somehow stops you from looking at your screen. Again, don't enjoy go farm gold and buy it from those who do. You can play the parry minigame
"play music or read something on the other screen"

Not even playing the game. Just scrolling through the internet and getting rocks in your inv lmao

Raknor

Sep 14, 2021
Hyllspeia
"play music or read something on the other screen"

Not even playing the game. Just scrolling through the internet and getting rocks in your inv lmao

So get rid of everything with a timer because if someone is able to multitask while butchering, extracting, etc the game is broken? Or maybe different people play different ways for different reasons...

Ragemeister

Jul 19, 2021
So get rid of everything with a timer because if someone is able to multitask while butchering, extracting, etc the game is broken? Or maybe different people play different ways for different reasons...
1. Timers dont lock you into one position in the game for minutes at a time, you are actually still playing a game and not just sitting there.

2 When you have your own house and benches/etc. the timers will hardly matter because people arent gonna be instantly yoinking your bag off the ground.

Raknor

Sep 14, 2021
Hyllspeia
1. Timers dont lock you into one position in the game for minutes at a time, you are actually still playing a game and not just sitting there.

2 When you have your own house and benches/etc. the timers will hardly matter because people arent gonna be instantly yoinking your bag off the ground.

I don't think I am understanding your point. To me it reads like you're saying that extracting 5-6 stacks that take 10-15 minutes of staring at a timer in your house is fine but mining those 5-6 stacks which requires you to move every 2mn to optimize the yields while being aware of your surroundings to minimize ganking risk in the wild needs a mini game to make it interesting. I must be losing something in translation.

EDIT: Ok, i think i see your point about not being locked in place, usually what I see people doing with this is just running back and forth the bank and the extracting appliance if its a no guard zone, if its something inside the guard zone it is very rare to see someone do in-game multitasking. I still don't see what a mini-game can bring into mining except be a distraction while trying to be aware of your surroundings.

Last edited:

Ragemeister

Jul 19, 2021
I don't think I am understanding your point. To me it reads like you're saying that extracting 5-6 stacks that take 10-15 minutes of staring at a timer in your house is fine but mining those 5-6 stacks which requires you to move every 2mn to optimize the yields while being aware of your surroundings to minimize ganking risk in the wild needs a mini game to make it interesting. I must be losing something in translation.
Why would you sit and stare at the timer when you are free to move around your house and do other things, you are free to interact. When you are mining / gathering you are literally stuck in one position staring at the floor while occasionally moving 2 feet over cause the "resource depleted" has nothing to do with being aware of your surroundings, its probably one of the worst mining mechanics Ive ever seen.

Same goes for half of the plants in the world, you pick the same mushroom/flower 15 timers until it says "resource depleted" instead of grabbing the plant and.... idk, making it dissapear until its pickable again like every other game thats actually successful. Who even designs this crap

Raknor

Sep 14, 2021
Hyllspeia
Why would you sit and stare at the timer when you are free to move around your house and do other things, you are free to interact.

Yeah I missed that point and edited while you were answering I guess. Like I said I never really saw this used besides multitasking appliances that also have timers, its just micro-managing the timer which is fine and everyone does it but it is not what I was referring to.

When you are mining / gathering you are literally stuck in one position staring at the floor while occasionally moving 2 feet over cause the "resource depleted" has nothing to do with being aware of your surroundings, its probably one of the worst mining mechanics Ive ever seen.

Same goes for half of the plants in the world, you pick the same mushroom/flower 15 timers until it says "resource depleted" instead of grabbing the plant and.... idk, making it dissapear until its pickable again like every other game thats actually successful. Who even designs this crap

Well, the design decision seems obvious - they want to lock YOU (not your character) in place for enough time to allow player bandits to find you (not sure how well it works with the 6x map and we will only find out at release population levels). What many other games do for example is lock your character into an animation that takes an extended time and then you harvest the full flower and move on to the next node. I don't want my character locked in an animation in a full loot game and this is why you have mini-animations and multiple resources per node. Would anyone really prefer if picking up a flower would lock your character into an animation but you would get the full node output in one go to compensate ?

It is the same with mining, you are "locked" for the 2 minutes to maximize yield but if something happens or you hear footsteps you are completely free to stop the gathering process and respond in a manner you see fit. Now I am not saying mining is perfect in MO - I am just saying I don't want a minigame to make it worse.

So no, I don't think its the "worst" design ever seen, I think its a basic design adapted to a full loot game.

Reactions: Rorry

Ragemeister

Jul 19, 2021
"Well, the design decision seems obvious - they want to lock YOU (not your character) in place for enough time to allow player bandits to find you" "I don't want my character locked in an animation in a full loot game"

It is the same with mining, you are "locked" for the 2 minutes to maximize yield but if something happens or you hear footsteps you are completely free to stop the gathering process and respond in a manner you see fit.
You just completely contradicted yourself, you are saying we should be locked into minute long animations but shouldnt have a 2 second animation that shows me actually picking an item from the ground. Because you "dont want to be locked in animation"

Being locked into one spot has nothing to do with maximizing yields whatsoever.

Raknor

Sep 14, 2021
Hyllspeia
You just completely contradicted yourself, you are saying we should be locked into minute long animations but shouldnt have a 2 second animation that shows me actually picking an item from the ground. Because you "dont want to be locked in animation"

Being locked into one spot has nothing to do with maximizing yields whatsoever.

You are right, if you remove the part of my quote where I clearly state I am giving examples about other games I completely contradicted myself :rolleyes:

But hey, add a minigame - that will fix everything

Reactions: 2Op4Scrubs

Ragemeister

Jul 19, 2021
You are right, if you remove the part of my quote where I clearly state I am giving examples about other games I completely contradicted myself :rolleyes:

But hey, add a minigame - that will fix everything
Theres already resources in game that use this concept lmao, go pick up the cavelo in Fabernum. You dont get locked into an animation, you simply pick the item up off the ground, just like every other game in existence. Because thats the way shit works, you dont spam R on one flower and deplete the flowers in that area, its braindead boring mechanics lmao.

Raknor

Sep 14, 2021
Hyllspeia
Theres already resources in game that use this concept lmao, go pick up the cavelo in Fabernum. You dont get locked into an animation, you simply pick the item up off the ground, just like every other game in existence. Because thats the way shit works, you dont spam R on one flower and deplete the flowers in that area, its braindead boring mechanics lmao.

Is this what you call a minigame? You want the nodes to disappear when you hit them?

Reactions: 2Op4Scrubs