Why is making metal so involved?

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
I'd rather see it go the other direction. I wish there was a bit more involved in high tier lumber, textiles etc. Where you have to treat the wood, blend fabrics, etc. Seems weird to have metal the only thing that is complex, but I'd rather more complexity in other systems than less complexity in metal.

Plus high end wood, textiles etc. would make sense being treated with components made with alchemy or cooking which would give those professions a bit more needed functionality.

Treated wood in particular could be VERY interesting when ships arise. Would be cool to see different critical ship components made from the wood equivalent of cronite or ohgmium. Fabric for the sails too come to think of it.

Kokolo

May 3, 2021
I'd rather see it go the other direction. I wish there was a bit more involved in high tier lumber, textiles etc. Where you have to treat the wood, blend fabrics, etc. Seems weird to have metal the only thing that is complex, but I'd rather more complexity in other systems than less complexity in metal.

Plus high end wood, textiles etc. would make sense being treated with components made with alchemy or cooking which would give those professions a bit more needed functionality.

Treated wood in particular could be VERY interesting when ships arise. Would be cool to see different critical ship components made from the wood equivalent of cronite or ohgmium. Fabric for the sails too come to think of it.

That I would really like to see.

Turbizzler

May 28, 2020
Fabernum

Agreed, more depth added to other materials when it comes to crafting and their use, would be nice. When Tapii wood finally came in MO1, it was pretty cool seeing everyone trying to figure out the recipes and ratios. Added that little extra depth.

Only issues I see for this is added depth, is the typical SV way of additional primary skills, which would cause some weird character skill point balancing, on top of more over tedious timers and gathering rates.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Only issues I see for this is added depth, is the typical SV way of additional primary skills, which would cause some weird character skill point balancing, on top of more over tedious timers and gathering rates.

Yeah these are all inherent problems with the crafting system. One of the reasons I dream of this game lifting profession caps, and increasing time to level, but making the crafting processes more interactive and engaging. It will never happen, but if it did it would solve literally every problem you just mentioned.

Dastardly

May 29, 2020
Agreed, more depth added to other materials when it comes to crafting and their use, would be nice. When Tapii wood finally came in MO1, it was pretty cool seeing everyone trying to figure out the recipes and ratios. Added that little extra depth.

They could always just make it skill based. I layed out my thoughts on the matter on a different thread. This could allow people who don't care to much about the game play and people who want more out of the system to both enjoy crafting equally.